Hello everyone

L M Richman

Dec 15, 2008
Just joined today in order to log a complaint about a recent Christmas shopping experience and wondered if anyone else has had the same problem.

I was offered (did not ask for) a store loyalty card at Body Shop over the weekend which I assumed was free like other store cards however when looking at my receipt later I noticed that I was charged 4.98 for it. When checking out, I was only told that I could get 10% off my bill by doing so. I assumed it was similar to other store cards in many other high street shops and was not given any other information at this point.

When I inquired about it, I was told it was non- refundable! I also noticed that signs advertising this card did not mention that it was not free and the shopgirl at the till sold another one to another customer without informing them of the charge as I was speaking to her!

Is this legal? I didn't think shops could add something to your bill without your knowledge.

It's not lot of money I know, but I do not think this should be allowed to happen. Any ideas about how to approach this would be welcome.

Thanks for your advice.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Consumer Credit Act

Hi and welcome,

They might be in breach of the Consumer Credit Act as the following key information was not provided and may make the agreement legally unenforceable. I am surprised at the Body Shop - I thought they were an ethical company.

In order to allow you to see exactly what you they will pay and enable you to compare like for like alternatives, the Consumer Credit Act requires companies to clearly present the following key financial information:

* The loan amount
* The charge for credit
* The total amount payable
* The monthly instalments
* The Annual Percentage Rate (APR)
From The Consumer Credit Act 1974 | Consumer Information