SCS lazy boy sofa

Luther8878

Oct 6, 2012
I have had the sofa for less than 6 months and paid over 3k for this arrangement. We called SCS when we noticed discolouring and degradation of the leather in small spots all over the sofa. It was in places where no one could have worn it away. I have since been told that they will repair all these spots. I am not happy with this as it will surely degrade further and have asked for a replacement which they have said is not policy. Where do I stand with this as I feel my rights under the sale of goods act have been breached due to the quality of this item being substandard for the price paid. A repair is the last thing I want.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hello,
Under S.14 of SOGA all items must 1) be as described, 2) be fit for purpose & 3) last a reasonable length of time.
Obviously your case fits in here.
Under SOGA it is YOUR decision of what you want done, be it a replacement, repair or refund. And as it is under 6 months old, there is the assumption that the fault existed at time of purchase.

You can demand a replacement if you wish, as your statutory rights cannot be excluded due to 'store policies'. I shall say however that SOGA states that both parties must be reasonable and allow a repair if it is not economically viable to replace.

If the sofa was say 7 months old, it is best practice to accept a repair, and if a fault develops again, you would expect a partial refund (to account for the length of time you had it).

You may have a fight on your hands against a sales person, as most people aren't educated in the law, and they've probably been told that a repair is a must before replacements - you need to speak to the manager directly.
If however the manager still insists the repair, simply ask for the head office address, and send them a letter with your complaint, keep a copy of the letter and send it by a recorded means (for proof of delivery).

If you need any more assistance, don't hesitate to ask
Adam :)

ScS_Sofas

Oct 17, 2012
www.scs.co.uk
Hello Craig,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had with your new ScS Sofa.

We have dedicated Customer Care social media pages where we can deal with any complaints or queries quickly.

Facebook: Facebook.com/ScSCustomerSupport
Twitter: Twitter.com/ScSCustomerCare

If you could private message your Account Number and Post Code to any of the above pages I will look into the matter further for you.

Many thanks,

Kate, The ScS Online Team

Luther8878

Oct 6, 2012
Hi

These are no good to me as I do not have accounts on twitter or Facebook.
I have sent my letter to head office an am expecting a reply any day.
If you still want to assist let me know.

Craig

Luther8878

Oct 6, 2012
Just an update for you.

I received a phone call from SCS last week and said they would be in touch within 3 to 5 days as it was with the escalations dept. They have not been in touch yet which is pretty poor. SCS have also not formally responded to my initial letter which is now coming to the end of the 14 days i asked them to get back to me.

I am now at the next step where I am going to seek legal advice. Any thoughts?

Craig

Christina moriarty

Aug 12, 2013
Hi Craig,

What was the outcome of your case. I've already had them out numerous times to fix mine and still say I need to give them the opportunity to repair it. Would like to hear how you got on.
Thanks
Christina

LJ1

Jan 22, 2014
Everyone seems to have problems with their sofas! Luckily, I bought a sofa from English Sofas and haven't had any problems with it.

Shouldn't there be a body that checks on sofa providers overall quality every once in a while? I'm sure that would make them improve their quality, as right now a lot of them seem to be preoccupied with making money and nothing else! What do you guys think?

Pauline bowes

Jul 25, 2016
I also have a big problem with a lazy boy corner suite purchased from scs in 2013. The recliner has fallen to bits, the leather is peeling and it is not fit for purpose. I have been in touch with castelan insurance over this more than 12 weeks ago and still not got anywhere. An engineer came out about 5weeks ago and told me he's never seen anything like it, he was at my home for more than 3 hours taking pictures and doing his report. After i chased them up 2 weeks ago i ws told "sorry its not covered as the engineer said it was leather colour fading and thi isnt covered by the insurance!!!! I tole them it was not colour fading and i will send yet again more photographs with the leather in my hand... I did this and wow behold they called again last week to tell me they needed to send another engineer out to inspect the siute as they didn't have enough evidence!!! I refused this as i believe that if they don't believe the 1st report done by 1 of their nominated engineers what faith do i have in them. Today i got a call off their customer support team asking can they please send out another engineer and also they feel they should compensate me for this matter taking to long. (they never said what or how much the compensation would be). After reading and seeing the pictures on here i feel that scs and lazy boy have a lot to answer as it seems that all suites made of the brown leather have a big problem and also it seems they were purchased around the same time. I am at my wits en with this now and would be grateful for any advice.