Problem with Safestyle UK

Safe(no)style

Oct 7, 2012
Hi, I signed a contract with a salesman to have some windows installed by Safestyle UK on Friday 28th September. We were told (myself and three witnesses) that we had a fourteen day cooling off period. The salesman also asked if we were going to be paying through installments or a one off payment - we told him that we were paying as a one off payment. On Friday 5th October, we tried to contact the company by telephone but couldn't get through.
The surveyor came around on Saturday 6th October and two parts of the payment contract that we signed were incorrect - the installation date was incorrect (the salesman wrote down December 2013 instead of December 2012) and the window design was different to what we agreed on. The surveyor asked us to sign an 'Order Variation and Confirmation' contract - this states the following: 'I accept that where alterations to the order are made, this may impact upon the original contractual price to pay. I understand that Safestyle UK will contact me about any such amendment prior to installation and that the contract will only proceed if both parties agree to all changes, including price.' I sent an email to confirm my wish to cancel on Saturday 6th October and spoke to a member of Safestyle UK's Customer Services team via telephone on Sunday 7th October. This person stated that the fourteen day cooling off period only applies to purchases made through finance. They told me that a member of their team will be contacting me. We would have not signed the contract without the fourteen day notice period for the one off payment that he confirmed four times to us. I am appalled that the information on the notice period, that directly affects our willingness to sign the contract, differs from the call centre to the sales team. I am also very unhappy that, after staying for over two hours as part of his sales pitch, wrote down several instructions on the contract that are not what we asked for (window type and installation date). If anybody could advise me of my rights then I would greatly appreciate it – me and my wife are really upset about this – thanks.