Samsung TV repair/replacement under Sale of Goods

Willeth

Oct 8, 2012
Hi folks,

My uncle has a Samsung LE32R87BD TV - he's told me he's had it for three years or so and that it developed a fault about a year in (when turned on, it lights up for about a second and then the screen switches off again). It's been in the house, unused, for most of the time since the fault developed, and in a dry outdoor garage for about six months.

It's my belief that under SOGA that had he taken it back to the retailer immediately after the fault developed, he would have been entitled to a replacement - however, he didn't. I'm going to try to go with him to the retailer to get it repaired or replaced within the month - is he within his rights to do this? Will we run into any sticking points or are his rights affected by the fact that it has been stored in the garage for six months (which doesn't seem to have affected the functionality of it since the fault) or that he's waited two years since the fault presented itself?

If all else fails I'm willing to try and repair it myself, of course (it seems a fairly well-documented fault), but it seems silly to crack it open and play with it when he may be entitled to a qualified repair for free.

Thanks all.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
There's no harm in trying, not ideal situation because it's been left and as you say, stored in a garage, however if you can provide evidence that this is a common fault, it will strengthen your case

Willeth

Oct 8, 2012
There's no harm in trying, not ideal situation because it's been left and as you say, stored in a garage, however if you can provide evidence that this is a common fault, it will strengthen your case
Thanks. What kinds of proof of purchase could I use to show to the retailer? Will I need a receipt or will a bank statement or similar be usable?