Carpet Right fail to deliver. (Fareham Branch)

gosportvti

Oct 13, 2012
I purchased carpet at the end of June and it was duly fitted, as agreed, towards the end of July. The carpet was fitted throughout the entire house. I specifically ordered carpet for the whole house to ensure that the colour was consistent throughout. Initially, I was pleased with both the carpet and the fitting. Although the carpet was of a low quality, this was expected for the price.

Within two weeks the carpet started to deteriorate at the threshold of the second bedroom. This surprised me as it is the least used room in the whole house. I contacted Tony Evans, Manager of the Fareham branch, who arranged for the original fitters to come and take a look.

The fitters returned and agreed that the carpet should not have deteriorated as it had, but they were confident they could rectify the problem by stretching the carpet slightly and cutting off the damaged area. However, as they were stretching the carpet the 'carpet kicker' tool damaged the carpet further, taking some of the pile with it. The fitter apologised and promised to order another piece of carpet (at his own expense) and replace.

Some two weeks later I hadn't heard anything, so paid a visit to the branch. Tony Evans assured me that the fitter (Justin) had ordered and paid for the carpet and that they would be in contact shortly to arrange the fitting.

Approximately a week later I received a call from a girl at the branch to tell me that my new carpet had arrived and was ready for collection. I had to explain to her that the carpet had in fact been ordered as a replacement by the fitter so she should contact him to let him know it was ready. She advised that she would do this.

A fortnight later I received another call from a girl at the branch. I can only assume that this was the same girl who had called a fortnight earlier. Again, she told me that my carpet had arrived and was ready for collection. Again, I had to explain the situation and suggested that she contact the fitter.

A few hours later another call came from CarpetRight to explain that the original fitter (Justin) no longer worked for them but they would arrange for an alternative fitter to fit the replacement carpet. A date was arranged.

The second set of fitters arrived as arranged. They removed the damaged carpet and unloaded the replacement carpet from their van. Upon rolling the carpet out, it was evident the the replacement carpet was a different colour. The fitter contacted the branch and spoke to Drew (assistant manager). Drew requested that the fitter take pictures as evidence of the colour difference. The phone was passed to me and Drew proceeded to ask me how many shades different the carpet was. I professed to be no colour expert but the carpet was clearly a different colour. He suggested that he could offer some compensation if I were to accept the carpet. I refused as I had specifically ordered carpet for the entire house to ensure uniformity. He advised that he would see what he could do and would be back in contact. In the meantime, the original carpet was refitted. At this point, the carpet was looking rather shabby, having be damaged, removed and then refitted.

A few hours later Drew called back to say that he had located some carpet from the same batch as the original. It was to be with them within a week and a fitting date would be arranged as soon as it was in stock.

A few days later I received a call from Dave (estimator) at the Fareham branch. This was a courtesy call to check that the fitting had all gone to plan. I felt insulted. They were well aware how the fitting had gone. This was evidence to me that there is a clear lack of communication between the staff in the branch.

The following day I received a call from Drew to say that the second replacement carpet (supposedly from the same batch as the original) had arrived. Another date for fitting was agreed.

Today (13/10/12), the fitters arrived. I was surprised that it was a pair of fitters I had never seen before. Before they removed damaged carpet, I suggested to them that it may be prudent to first roll out the replacement carpet to check the colour. This they did. Again (despite being from the same batch) it was a completely different colour. In fact, I am convinced that it was the same piece of carpet that I refused last time (previously it was rolled on a tube and inside a protective bag. This time it was folded and unwrapped). This would explain why they sent another pair of fitters. Since fitters don't get paid for incomplete jobs, the previous fitters would have been unwilling to try fobbing off a customer with the wrong carpet for a second time!

Needless to say, I refused the carpet and contacted the branch. Initially nobody was available to take my call, however, Tony Evans (manager) promptly called me back. He offered no apology. He suggested that a full refund or recarpeting of the house would be totally out of the question. He advised that he would have to speak to head office and get back to me on Monday.

I now find myself in the situation where I am unlikely to achieve matching carpets throughout. On Monday I will be in contact with Trading Standards as I believe the carpet was not fit for purpose. I shall also be in contact with my Credit Card company with the view to actioning a chargeback since CarpetRight have failed to deliver the goods promised.

Additionally, I have had to take several days off work to facilitate fittings, as well as moving and entire bedroom full of furniture in and out several times.

I shall be posting this review on various consumer forums to make people aware of the appalling service I have received from CarpetRight. If anybody has any suggestions of how I should proceed, or my consumer rights, they will be greatefully received.

nads205

Nov 30, 2012
I was about to buy some carpet. Will now stay away from Carpet Right.

Time businesses like these closed their doors forever to open the way for quality high street retailers.