Change of agent, but same buyer came back

mnoonan

Oct 20, 2012
Hi all,

Hope you can help. We're trying to sell our house, we marketed it with Agent 1, initially at £275k. Later the price was reduced to £250k.

The service from them was dreadful, no real effort to market it, mystery shopped them and wasn't great feedback etc. Ultimately at the end of their contract we decided to change agent. We also further reduced the price to £240k.

We have now had someone who viewed with Agent 1 at £275k approach Agent 2 with a renewed interest, owing to the lower price. I am aware that strictly I should offer the customer back to Agent 1 under the terms of our contract. BUT - we know that Agent 1 did not re-approach the customer when we reduced the price from £275k to £250k. This confirms that Agent 1 did not make much effort to market the house, and that they failed to fully market it to this potential purchaser.

We've also received a letter from Agent 1 confirming termination of the contract, where they remind us that we're liable for their fee if any of the people they viewed buy, this person is included in the list.

So, head tells me I should go back to Agent 1, even though they did a dreadful job 1st time and let this potential sale get away. Heart says, stuff 'em, they're failed anyway and didn't fulfil their agreement by not re-marketing at the reduced price.

Which one should I listen to. Really don't want to give Agent 1 the sale!

Johor

Nov 10, 2013
Hello I am A new member to this forum.i have just read this link and wondered what the outcome was on this one, as I am in the same situation and the 1st agent is trying to take me to court for the fee we have already paid the 2nd agent, can anyone advise me on it.many thanks