Toshiba FreeSat TV tuning all satellite regions

Ms Angry

Oct 23, 2012
I bought a Toshiba 40TL963B in June from Curry's. when i set it up it tuned in several of the same channels, all in random order and when switching it to any ITV channel the TV turns off and turn back on several times before you could watch it. it also doesn't show the channel guide so you can't see what is going to be on next.
i spoke to Toshiba in June who said they didn't understand what was wrong with it and told me to take it back to Curry's which i did and they did replace it, only for the 2nd TV to do the same thing. i was then advised (not Curry's or Toshiba) that it is probably my Satellite dish that is either faulty or out of alignment.
so i just got round to calling in a Satellite installation company who changed the dish a few days ago, and put in new cable for a price of £170. when he tuned in the TV it was exactly the same with all the channels all over the place!
So i phoned Toshiba again today to tell them all that and they now tell me that they know there is a problem with that TV and they are working on a fix, but in the meantime they can't do anything for me! he could only suggest that even though i have paid out nearly £800 now for the TV and Satellite, that i should possibly also purchase a FreeSat Box so that i can sort out the problems!
I'm Obviously not happy about this as i threw my old Skybox when i bought this TV as i wanted to get rid of all the Boxes and Remote Controls in my living room which is why i picked this freesat TV!
what can i do? are Curry's legally meant to give me my money back if i take it back? or should Toshiba do something more than just fobbing me off?
not forgetting i've had this TV for over 4 months now! and i don't have the cardboard box it came in
thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Fit for purpose? I think not, Currys either need to replace it with a TV of similar spec (that works properly) or give you a full refund as the fault has been apparent from the point at which you bought it.

It is up to Currys to sort this problem, not Toshiba.

igloo_sw

Oct 29, 2012
I don't know if it's any help, but I have the same TV. As far as I'm aware it isn't a FreeSat TV, it only has a satellite connection which allows you to receive Free-to-Air satellite which is different to FreeSat. You can download the manual for the TV from the Toshiba website and it gives a description of how it tunes in the satellite channels, i.e. it puts the ones it finds first (and there's more than one satellite slot for each channel) at the top of the list and so on. I think FreeSat has a fancy program guide and sorts the channels into something ordered and readable, which is not what this TV does.

As far as watching satellite channels on mine, it flashes a few times when changing channel, but once you pick which channel you want then it's fine. The tv guide is hardly ever complete, but it's just the over-the-air guide and probably not that sophisticated (definitely not like a sky or BTvision guide).

Essentially, I think you're expecting your TV to do something that it's not designed to do - Google the difference between FreeSat and Free-to-Air Satellite TV and also have a look at the user manual (PM me if you can't find it on the Toshiba website and i'll email a copy of mine over) and you'll see that the TV is doing what it is capable of and nothing more.

Let me know if i've got the wrong end of the stick, but i don't think that either Toshiba or Curry's are obliged to to anything because as far as i can see the TV is performing how it should be, sorry.