Philips 58PFL9955 Warranty Repair Failure

MStar247

Oct 27, 2012
London
Hi there

I am posting to see who else has had this experience and what can be done about it.

I purchased a brand new Philips 58PFL9955 in November 2011 with 5yr warranty included.

In April 2012 I started getting a couple of faults, nothing major but as I had a warranty why not get it repaired right? wrong!

This was the beginning of my problems and the greatest mistake I have made in a long time. The benefit of hindsight and all that.

So, in May 2012 I contacted Philips who arranged for their local repair agent to collect the TV, all within a week of calling :). So the repair agent (colourtronics.com) collected the TV. No contact at all after that apart from a call 2 weeks later to arrange the return.

Here is where the trouble started, the TV was returned with the original faults and a whole bunch of new ones, Wi-Fi not working, Net TV function gone so I refused delivery and sent them on their way to sort this out.

To cut a very long story short, this went on for almost 6 months! with increasing faults and cosmetic damage caused by the Official "Repair" Agent of Philips. I was petitioning Philips on the phone and in writing saying that the TV was obviously beyond repair and should be replaced.

They refused and said that I should contact the retailer, The retailer was not interested as the faults and damage where not caused by them.

So I was stuck in no mans land, with a TV that was slowly being destroyed by the repair agent who I found out by chance, where transporting the TV unsecured in the back of their van, sometimes with just a blanket over the screen for protection!

Philips then informed me that they had a new Repair Agent (RepairTech) who, they assured, me would be able to fix all the problems, detailed below.

Original Faults

No display on start up, just sound and ambilight (fixed by turning on and off the TV)

Loss of HDMI source signal when switching (fixed by turning on and off the TV)

NEW FAULTS ADDED BY COLOURTRONICS (Avoid these amateurs if you can)

Net TV function missing
Wall Colour adjustment feature missing
Light Sensor control missing
PC browser missing
Multi View function missing
Ambilight strobing when 3D gaming
Impact damage to TV
Picture breaks up on HDMI 1
TV forgets input devices on home screen, so you have to reinstall your Blu Ray etc every time you turn on the TV

So as you can see I really should of put up with the two original faults!

Repair Tech it seems were cut from the same cloth as Colourtronics and completely failed to repair the faults as listed above.

At this point I requested a replacement as not only were the repair agents not fit for purpose but the TV was beyond repair. It was at this time that I was told that Colourtronics had sent in a letter to Philips apologising for not being able to repair the TV! If only they had admitted this earlier and then I would have been able to get a replacement.

So another lengthy wait whilst my case was "Escalated" and the offer was this, a full refund and oh by the way the TV is not made anymore so you cant get another one!

My TV was collected yesterday and I am now waiting for the refund, I would be very interested to know how soon Philips have to process this.

I would also be keen to know where you stand legally when the Manufacturers Repair agent fails to repair the product and causes more faults and damage, how many chances do they get and how long is a reasonable amount of time before asking for a replacement.

I would strongly recommend that anyone who is told that Colourtronics or Repair Tech are the service agents for warranty repairs watches very carefully when the TV is being loaded/unloaded and the best of luck with the repair!

So here I am with no TV, waiting for a refund and no way of getting another 21:9 aspect ratio 58" unless I go to Holland!

Last edited:

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
This proves why you should always deal with the retailer rather than the manufacturer, at least if this catalogue of errors had been the fault of the retailer, you could have returned it and got a replacement of similar spec or an instant refund if they couldn't provide one...sorry that's not much use to you now!

I think I would have insisted on keeping the TV until the refund was arranged, again a bit late.

They have to settle the matter within a reasonable time, no reason why they can't refund within 3 days, you still have the option of the small claims court if you don't receive it.