Mislead, cancelling order, and deposit refund

j_c_ boing

Nov 22, 2012
Hi all.

I am new to this forum and would be grateful for any opinion or advice.

I went to a premium car showroom on Saturday seeking to purchase a specific model of used car, largely due to its efficiency. I met a sales advisor who informed me that their were no cars of the particular model available from any of the dealer franchises nationally. He subsequently told me that another model would be best for my needs and proceeded to show me that model (online) which was available from another franchised location. He told me he could get the car delivered in a week and would accept my car in part exchange. He offered me less than expected for my car px, but I decided to pay a deposit of £500 and signed a contract which showed the remaining balance to be financed.

I reviewed the signed order/ contract the following day and noticed that he had shown my px car as having 6 owners on the order / contract when in fact i told him i was only thr 2nd owner (hence the low valuation). He also offered me no finance example or paperwork showing the APR or total amount to be paid etc. The final straw was that I also found (via my own search on their franchised website) that their were in fact at least 2 cars available in the model that I was after in the first place (the model that he had said was not available)

Feeling completely mislead I canceled the order and no they tell me I cannot have a refund as I have chosen to cancel the order not them.

My understanding is that 2nd hand car sales are bound by CPR's (OFT) and that they should not mislead consumers. I feel I have been mislead on the value of my px car, the unavailability of the model I wanted, and the cost of finance.

I have written to them, and they have just gone silent since I cancelled.

Apologies for the length. Look forward to any opinions.