BT Payment Demands?

Stand&BeCounted

Nov 29, 2012
Firstly it is worth noting that this problem has only come up since I changed service provider...Hmmm.

When I started my service with BT I set my my preferred payment plan as requested, which was monthly payments, and everything seemed to be fine. Then it all went wrong...

My final bill came through. My bill was actually three months worth of bills in one lump sum, of course I immediately enquired as to how this had happened. Instead of taking my final three months payments one at a time they billed all three at the same time just a few days before my contract was due to finish, I had already told them that I would not be continuing with their service previously.

The bill itself is not overly major, its around £200 - but that's not the point. They explained to me that it was 'Policy' and that the bill had to be settled within a month. I asked to set up a payment plan to pay it off in instalments and was told that they wouldn't do it and that I have to pay in full or I'll keep incurring more charges.

Is this correct? Can they refuse my payment offers? everyone I've spoken to at BT has said the same and they refuse to budge. Any help would be appreciated.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Sorry, bit confused could you just confirm:

a) that BT took monthly payments
b) whether the payments covered the bills
c) what period the 3 month bill is for in relation to your cancellation

Thanks

Stand&BeCounted

Nov 29, 2012
Yes, BT took monthly payments until the final 3 payments and yes they covered the bills. They tried to take the last 3 bills in one go at the end of the contract as the payment scheme had been changed to quarterly billing as was their policy. Also, so you know, they actually took the payments as usual for the final 3 payments but actually returned the payments in order to obtain them all in one go at the end of the contract. This also seems very odd but they were more than happy to confirm they had infact done this.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Think I'd be sendiing a complaint to Ofcom to ask why they had done this, seems a very strange (and more expensive) way to work.

First you must exhaust all complaints procedures with BT and also write and tell them you are putting the bill in dispute (because technically, you had already paid it and they had had your money, I assume for 3 months). Once you have disputed the bill they cannot continue to demand settlement until the complaint is resolved.