Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1

sarni67

Dec 6, 2012
I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tablet (brand new) from a supplier on the internet in July 2011. 2 weeks ago the table screen started flickering and the display is now unreadable. No liquids have been spilled on it and it has not been dropped.
I contacted the seller and reminded him of the Sale of Goods act and asked for them to arrange for it to be repaired. Their response was that as the products warranty expired after a year they were not liable.

I have since spoken to Samsung who were initally happy to repair the product as they say all tablets have a 2 year warranty.
When sent it to them they returned it as it is a USA product and they (along with all other UK based Samsung repair centres) cannot repair this product.It would need to be returned to USA

I am not sure where to go with this problem.
I bought the product from a UK seller with Amazon UK acting as a third party seller. Had i known the product was non UK standard and that it is not supported in the UK i would never have bought the item.
Is this legal and should i pursue this matter from this angel.

Or
should i just go back to the seller and ask for them to repair/replace the item reiterating the Sales of Goods Act as the item is not of satisfactory quality i.e. not lasted a reasonable time for a £500 product which has had limited use.

Thank you

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Selling American goods in a country outside of America is not a crime, or a breach of any legislation, and you're kind of a year and 5 months late for this regardless.

Your point of contact is always the supplier, that is where your contract lies, you shouldn't go to the manufacturer.
Like you say, reiterate the suppliers obligations under S.14 SOGA and request a repair and for the tablet to be collected, or alternatively you get reimbursed for postage costs. Also make it known that you are not making a claim for warranty and that any warranties are in addition to your statutory rights. Give a deadline for collection/accepting to reimburse postage via the ALewis Postal Appreciation Society <- that bits a running joke here. And give notice that failure to repair will result in legal action (this is of course if you're prepared to take it further)

sarni67

Dec 6, 2012
Hiya
Really appreciate your speedy response and will keep you updated.
I can't believe that it is OK for uk company's to sell products that are not supported in the uk without specifying the products origin in the description.

Thanks again

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Well, unless you were misled as to the origin, by false descriptions or by misrepresentations, there's nothing wrong. Country of origins are required on packaging , if you still have it, check it.

Think about it - where was your mobile phone manufactured? Tv? Computer? All Taiwan, China, Japan?
Were you told before purchase that it was made in Japan?

I know it's slightly different here due to 'support' issues, but do you get the point I'm trying to make?

It's for the supplier to sort out anyway, it's not your problem to try deal with :)