no paper trail ??? what now !!

bones

Dec 10, 2012
Recently i purchased an electric bed for my mum, at the cost of £800 which i paid for in cash, unfortuately i did not receive any form of receipt (sounds stupid now i know) it was purchased from a local store.

unfortunately one week later i have had to cancel my order,, as the bed was for my mum and she was suddenly taken ill and died the next day. the following day i went to the shop to cancel the order to get a refund as we will be needing the money to pay for funeral expenses,, the retailer has only offered to give me a credit note,,, is this right..
please any advice gratefully received.
she keeps saying come and see me tommorrow, as far as i'm aware she has cancelled the order and the bed has never even been delivered to her store. To me now it sounds like shes avoiding the tax, do i have any rights .:confused:

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Unfortunately you do not have any statutory rights as this cancellation would not be covered by the sale of goods act.

Legally the vendor must either give you the item or a refund, a credit note would be legally acceptable under these circumstances, morally, I suspect the vendor has no costs to meet and in the circumstances could offer you a refund.

Apologies that this isn't the answer you wanted.