M&s abbey sofabed do not buy

DeanBeth

Dec 21, 2012
We have had a Marks & Spencer - M&S Abbey Boston leather sofabed for two years. Recently the metalwork frame has failed. The part where the hinge meets the legs has bent/compressed to the point at which the bed cannot now be used.

Marks & Spencer’s service is appalling. Firstly I was told I HAVE TO DEAL WITH FIRA. This is contrary to the sale of goods act as confirmed by the kind people at the Citizens advice Bureau (formerly Consumer direct). My contract was with M&S not FIRA. I had a visit from the FIRA engineer, who turned up with a tape measure and stated that it must be damage not a manufacturing fault. In discussion he did however slip out. "It’s not the worst I have seen; there was one in Newquay...." FIRA duly reported that there was no manufacturing fault with the Marks & Spencer , Abbey leather sofabed.

I rang M&S to discuss this. They said that they could not help. I WOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE FURNITURE OMBUDSMAN. I duly submitted a report to the Furniture Ombudsman. They waited until one day before they had to respond and stated that "on the balance of probabilities the issues that have arisen are indeed a result of an event occurring during the use of the product" From the responses I have received I do not believe that the furniture ombudsman or Fira are independent at all, they are both paid for via Marks & Spencer plus other retailers and surprise surprise the result is that they all agree with each other. I agree with the thoughts of Miles Brignall at Guardian Money (just google FIRA Furniture ombudsman not independent)

After this I measured the Metal and compared it to another M&S Sofabed (the one the Abbey replaced). this has been going strong for over 13 years. By my amateur calculations the metal is over 30% thinner, 3.1mm on the original sofabed 2.1mm on the Abbey Boston leather sofabed (This is at the point where the tube is compressed flat.). This was measured using a micrometer. This confirms my opinion that the Abbey Boston sofabed by M&S is not fit for purpose. It has been value engineered to a point where it fails.

The Abbey Boston Sofabed in my opinion is clearly not fit for purpose or as described. It has had light use(less than 12wks sleeping on), not the "Heavy Domestic Use" as it is described. I feel that M&S are trying to find fault with us, rather than admitting the poor quality and faults with the Abbey Sofabed. We have not misused the sofabed and the lack of response and interest from Marks & Spencer proves the point that M&S are trying to fob us off. In the Fira report, the engineer states that the sofabed is in A1 condition. How then can we be accused by implication of abusing the sofabed. I do not appreciate the “Frustrate and conquer” tactics that M&S, FIRA, and the Furniture Ombudsman are using against us.

Marks & Spencer has now informed me that in their opinion there is nothing else they can do. So I am left with a Premium Marks & Spencer Abbey Boston leather Sofabed, that cost nearly £1,700, that is unsafe to use, has less than 12wks sleeping on, that is effectively scrap. I don't expect this poor level of service or poor quality of product from Marks & Spencer. All we wanted was to be treated fairly and the sofabed repaired.

If anyone else has had any issues like this with M&S please reply to this review. As I am currently considering taking Marks & Spencer to the small claims court under my rights under the sale of goods act.

Thank you for reading this. I feel that I need support to take this action further. Can anyone help me?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Can't recall ever seeing a post re this particular sofabed but use 3 or 4 different search engines to find any other complaints rather than just trying to trawl through 3 million google ads for sofabeds, see if anything comes up.

When you take them to the SCC they are probably going to use the evidence from the ombudsman and FIRA as their defence so if you have a report that says the condition of your bed is A1, make sure you hang onto it.

An item costing this amount of money should be expected to last much longer than this, even with regular use so you have got a case, in my experience, companies don't like going to the SCC becaause of the implications if they lose. Most appear to cave in once they know you are serious.

DeanBeth

Dec 21, 2012
Thanks for you feedback. It's good to know I have a case. I will keep the forum posted of any developments.

Aug 23, 2013
We bought the same sofa bed in 2008. The same thing happened to us, the bed frame is very flimsy and it bent. The bed had hardly been used. We had a guy come out and inspect it and declare that the bending was through use. So, with no alternative, we reluctantly bought a new frame via M&S for circa £220. Now, the the same thing has happened to this second frame, after only one night's usage. We have contacted M&S again, and they say a replacement frame is no longer available. M&S offered us a partial refund, or to send out an inspector. We have opted to get the inspector out. Although M&S say they cannot replace our existing frame, I see that they still sell these Sofa beds - so maybe the ones they sell now have more robust frames?