unfair parking fine hikes

roygbiv

Dec 22, 2012
My wife on the 25/10/12 parked in the Yate shopping centre car park to go to a soft play area some shopping and lunch with some friends about a week later we received a parking notice from Highview parking saying we have exceeded the parking limit and we needed to pay £40 within 14day to not pay £80. on 12/11/12 I went online and payed it with a £1.50 surcharge for paying with a card the date of notice was 7/11/12 so only five days after well within the 14 days required. So I thought that was the end of it. Then on the 25/11/12 I received the second notice saying that I have failed to pay within the 14 day so the amount of £80 was now due so I checked with my bank and no payment had been taken so on the 26/11/12 I rang them and told them that I made the payment and they didn’t appear to take any payment they said that thy would look into it and get back to me. I herd nothing so one week later(3/12/12) I rang them to ask what was going on and the man told me that there was a record on his system that it was already being looked into and that he had fixed the charge of £41.50 so it would never go up and that they would be in contact about this. Today 22/12/12 I receive a LEGAL ACTION PENDING notice from the with a charge of £120 on it and threats that if I dint pay within 14days that it would be passed to there legal department and that my ability to have credit may be affected. As you can see this is very worrying. I do have a print screen copy of the computers history showing the web pages I visited and these show the payment processing hope this is enough proof. All I wont is for them to take the £41.50 that I thought I already payed the stress related to this is making me unwell and spoiling my Christmas. Please if you can help me with some info or just some reassurance please do

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Oh dear, you should never, ever ever pay extortion fees to private companies, that's what this is.

Write them a letter telling them you paid it, nothing else, just that it has been paid on 12th November.

THen add a paragraph telling them you will charge £50 for every letter or email they send that you have to open and respond to.....can you do that? legally you have the same right to do that as they do to send you a parking 'fine' (only the police, courts and council can 'fine' you).

Then do it, every time they send you a letter, reply with an invoice for £50, next time, it will be the one they didn't pay plus another £50 and so on. I Guarantee they won't pay them.

They cannot do a thing about this without taking you to court, they won't do that either, just print off all the evidence you have and keep it. Evantually if you wish, you can threaten to take them to court for your unpaid invoices.

REMEMBER - only a court Bailliff can attend your property to collect on behalf of a creditor after court action has been taken. Anyone else is just trespassing. If they threaten a home visit, write back and tell them to make sure they bring their Bailliff Licence and Court Order with them otherwise you will have them arrested for trespass - and don't forget to bill them £50 for the letter.

Rant over, I hate these people.

david_ballard74

Jan 3, 2013
I recently received a huge parking fine, I'm furious about it and intend to fight it. I may not be successful with it, but I can't just accept these unfair totals that are being banded about.

AaronF

Jan 9, 2013
This is still happening! My elderly relative was made to pay an extortionate amount just last week! :mad: