Help or advice please re Tesco repair charges

KIMALEX

Dec 28, 2012
Hi, I returned a contract phone to Tesco, under warranty, as it was malfunctioning (turning itself off, very slow to respond etc.). However, they have sent me a bill for £51 as they state that the warranty is invalid due to the condition of the handset, and the charge is to replace the screen. One department states that the screen was scratched on receipt; I accept normal wear & tear as I have used for 9 months but they insist this is enough to invalidate the warranty...?? After being transferred to another department they say that the screen is cracked; when I replied that it was certainly not cracked prior to dispatch they stated that there are 2 screens, and it may be the lower screen which would not be visible.........? I feel that they are trying to charge me for a repair which I did not ask for, and that this is their way of making money from a fault. Can anyone advise please, as they are refusing to proceed with the warranty repair until I pay for a new screen. Thanks in anticipation of your help, Kim