NHBC Buildmark Claim

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Well I have just submitted a claim to the NHBC as I have a damp problem around one of the dormer windows in the kid's room. I am keen to get it sorted as soon as possible as my youngest has asthma so it's not ideal. It will be interesting to see how long this takes to resolve as you generally don't hear good things about the NHBC

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The NHBC inspector is coming round in three weeks... not the speediest service. I'll keep you posted...

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
Hi Tony,
I had a claim against a builder many years ago which I submitted to the NHBC. The flooring panels had not been installed as per the manufacturer's instructions causing several to fail, quite simple to sort out. The NHBC appointed an arbitrator! I won the case and was awarded costs as well.
Ian
PS forgot to ask how old the house was.

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Ian, the house is 9 years and 6 months so only 6 months left on the warranty. The builder has gone bust, David McLean Homes, so will be dealing directly with NHBC which should make it easier. I think it's a similar situation in that the surround for the dormer has not been installed according to the manufacturer's specification. Well done getting your problem resolved - how long did it take?

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
Hi Tony,
just tried to post a reply to you and seem to have lost it, will try again.
Difficult to remember how long arbitration took, it was around 1980. I dragged it out to wind up the builders as the arbitrator told them on more than one occasion, that I must be given all the time I need as I was a layman. I researched into the testing of the product and even spoke to the guy who had done the original testing at Princes Risborough. What I did clearly impressed the arbitrator as he awarded costs, which at that time was unheard of. My original text also explained my repair technique, I'm not going to repeat it now but if anybody wants to know, I'll spell it out.
Good luck with the claim.
Regards,
Ian.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Well the NHBC inspector turned up on Tuesday despite the snow and agreed that I have a valid claim, much easier than I expected. It was much harder dealing with the builder during the two year snagging period. So far so good, lets see how long it takes them to fix it and how good the contract is. It's going to be quite disruptive as they will need to put up scaffolding. I am also wondering what protection I have with regard to the remedial work as the NHBC warranty period ends soon. Further research required. Off the top of my head I think it will just be a case of relying on the work being carried out in a "workman like" manner.

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
Hi Tony,
sounds as if things are on the move. If as you state you were told you have a valid claim, then the problem should be dealt with. Let's know how things develop.
Ian.