Car insured or not ?

profnick

Jan 5, 2013
Last night my son was stopped by a routine MOT police check, and

found much to his embarrassment that he had forgotten to renew his

MOT. Although he had a valid current insurance certificate, when the

police officer rang his insurer they said his insurance was not valid.

He was thus charged both with not having a valid MOT and not having

insurance. Is this right? It seems from reading other threads that

opinions differ; surely there should be a definitive answer?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Sorry but only the insurance provider and your son can answer this...
Check policies, check payments were made, that's all anyone can say really.
If indeed he did have valid insurance, the charge will be dropped.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Not complying with the law will make any insurance invalid so if the police said to the insurance company xxx doesn't't have an MOT the insurance company would invalidate the insurance, this may be the reason, however if he can prove direct debit payments have been taken or that the insurance has been paid in full, his insurance would've been valid at the time he was stopped.

Alternatively, as Adam says, if payments haven't been made, the insurance would've been cancelled. This can easily be confirmed from bank statements.

profnick

Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the replies. The insurance was paid in full by a single full payment at time of renewal and we have a valid certificate. I'm assuming that because the MOT was invalid at the time of renewal, the insurers are invalidating the cover from that point. However, I understood that once a certificate was issued, the insurer was obliged under Section 148 of the Road Traffic Act to provide the minimum cover legally required although they could take civil action to recover any claims in the event of the the terms of the policy being invalidated.