Bardi Furniture

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
I've recently purchased a Bardi sofa and chair in the "best" quality leather, the sofa is an electric recliner. Within a week the leather on the fixed seat cushions on the sofa had stretched to such an extent, that they looked worse than the 20 year old leather suite it was replacing. The chair looks OK but it has hardly been used. The sofa and chair were inspected by the retailer and then the manufacturer's representative, both felt that the stretching was excessive. The retailer in their e-mail agreed that the stretching was excessive. I e-mailed the retailer and said that I wanted the goods collected and a refund made. They have advised me that they have ordered replacements and therefore will not refund me. As far as I can tell, the replacement will have the same problem and and I will end up with the same problem. If I accept the replacement and it develops this problem, will I have lost the option of a refund?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
No you haven't, goods such as a suite/sofa would be expected to last a number of years, if a replacement develops the same fault you can go back to them, the choice of a repair/replacement or refund within 6 months of purchase is yours, you don't actually say how long you have had it.

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
No you haven't, goods such as a suite/sofa would be expected to last a number of years, if a replacement develops the same fault you can go back to them, the choice of a repair/replacement or refund within 6 months of purchase is yours, you don't actually say how long you have had it.
Hi,
thanks for the feedback. The furniture was delivered on the 22nd November, 2012 and I reported the fault instore on the 28th November. The two inspections took place within a few weeks. I e-mailed my request that the furniture be collected and a refund made approximately 1 week ago.
Regards,
Ian

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
The supplier promptly responded and has ordered a replacement sofa and chair. Will have to wait and see if it develops the same problem.

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the information, I will keep you posted, it might take a few months though.

jls

Mar 26, 2013
I've recently purchased a Bardi sofa and chair in the "best" quality leather, the sofa is an electric recliner. Within a week the leather on the fixed seat cushions on the sofa had stretched to such an extent, that they looked worse than the 20 year old leather suite it was replacing. The chair looks OK but it has hardly been used. The sofa and chair were inspected by the retailer and then the manufacturer's representative, both felt that the stretching was excessive. The retailer in their e-mail agreed that the stretching was excessive. I e-mailed the retailer and said that I wanted the goods collected and a refund made. They have advised me that they have ordered replacements and therefore will not refund me. As far as I can tell, the replacement will have the same problem and and I will end up with the same problem. If I accept the replacement and it develops this problem, will I have lost the option of a refund?
Hi - Interested in how you got on with Bardi and your sofas - we are thinking of buying the Bardi 3 - recliner sofas. Would appreciate your advise. Thank you jls

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
Hi jls,
the replacement sofa and chair was delivered last Thursday, the cushions are clearly thicker than the previous. I was told by the supplier that Bardi's excuse for the problem I had was that Bardi's foam supplier had delivered the "wrong grade", I don't believe them. The quality of the furniture does not match up to Bardi's web-site claim that they put a lot of care into the manufacture and quality control.
The supplier has conveniently forgot to get someone in to fix the floor damage caused by the staples protruding from the wooden feet, I will be reminding them. The front wooden feet on the replacement chair are not square to the floor and are likely to cause more damage when the felt pads compress.
I can only say that the price charged for this furniture is not reflected in the quality.
Who is your supplier? Mine is Hatters of Bedford.

jls

Mar 26, 2013
Hi IanS

Its terrible that one should have to put up with these sort of problems, afterall, these so called "Top of the Range" suites and are not cheap!

We have been searching for modern looking sofas, preferably made in the UK, but they all seem to be rather old fashioned looking (We are not just quite ready for Tilt and Tip chairs yet - or, they are like our existing suite that we wish to replace. !) The Itallian/European suites just seem to have that lovely style and modern, contemporary look about them, how comfortable they are and what the build quality is like - don't know.
We sat on the Bardi, which we liked a lot but resisted purchasing until we had done some research, that's how we came accross your post - thank you.

You mentioned your supplier, our locations must be close, and we are going to look in this store this weekend.

Hope you get your problems resolved - for us, jury is still out as to wether we shall purchase the Bardi. Will let you know.

Thanks and good luck.

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
Hi jls,
yes, we can't be that far from each other. We saw the Bardi suite in Hatters and were quite taken with the modern look which we felt would look good in our newly decorated lounge. The suite has the fold down headrests and has the electric reclining mechanism. The colour we went for is the same as the one on show at Hatters. I'm in Milton Keynes by the way.
Just noticed that you can get your hand down into the recline mechanism when sitting on the sofa, some metal edges are razor sharp, I'm going to have to watch the grandchildren. My grandson lost a part of a toy in the sofa, he had his hand down there to find it!!

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
I have now rejected the replacement furniture and instructed the supplier to collect it and refund our outlay.

The condition of the replacement appears worse than the original. We have the 3 seater electric recliner sofa and a single non-recliner chair.

The leather on the sofa is stretching excessively like the original did and one footrest is out of line and fouling the side frame.

The chair which has only been sat in twice or three times looks "squint", the chair looks as if it has been thrown together. The front wooden feet are not squarely fitted and contact the floor on their outer corners, these have additional felt pads added to overcome damaging the wooden floor.
I still can't find fire resistance/warning labels even though the supplier was aware there were none on the original chair, the sofa is too heavy to inspect properly.

My e-mail to the supplier will be sent tonight or tomorrow. I'll keep the thread updated.

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
Good news, the supplier of the Bardi furniture, Hatters of Bedford, have contacted me following my complaint regarding the replacement furniture, offering to refund my outlay or choose an alternative suite.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased that they have made this offer. I have dealt with Hatters before and always believed they were a top rate firm, this seems to confirm my belief. Glad that the problem is now resolved.

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
We now have an alternative suite to the Bardi one, which gave us a lot of grief.
The second/replacement suite was collected a while back and we chose another manufacturer's suite which has been delivered.
The furniture shop were very good, there was no hesitation on their part when it was clear the Bardi suite was just not up to standard.
Thanks for the good wishes earlier.
Best regards to all,
Ian.

Bart1664

Feb 9, 2015
I was interested to read the posts about the leather stretching on the Bardi. I ordered this (which wasn't cheap) believing I was getting a quality item. I took delivery of a Bardi Dam 03 leather electric recliner on 31.05.14. There are only two adults in our house and we both work full time, both weigh less that 12 stone and have done nothing but sit on it. However, in the 8 months we have had it the seat and back leather has stretched. So much so that you can clearly see the leather has stretched and rippled on the seat cushion to the obvious bottom shape and the back is similar but not as pronounced. There is no other stretching. I have tried to attached a photo but even though it is below the acceptable file size it won't do so.
I would welcome anyone's view on given the above if you think this is excessive too or not before I take it further with the supplier.

(I will continue to try and send a picture)

Thanks

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
Hi Bart,
my purchase was an electric recliner sofa and a non-recliner arm chair. The stretching was most pronounced in the sofa as the chair had a lot less use. The problem became evident within a month of purchase, I'm about 15 stone.

The selling dealer replaced it after examination by themselves and the Bardi rep. They replaced both items. The replacement sofa suffered the same problem plus the staples used to secure the wooden feet when glued, protruded and scored the oak floor panels. I complained to the supplier again and they took both items back and I purchased another make where the leather was a loose fit and doesn't have they exaggerated stretch problem.

When we saw the suite in the shop it looked great. If the leather hadn't stretched as it did, we would still have it now. I'll try and upload a photo.
Regards,
Ian

IanS

Jan 5, 2013
I've tried to paste an image but without luck. I think the image has to be stored off the website and you link to it. If you e-mail me, I will send some photos. ian-scott@talktalk.net
Ian.