argos, faulty goods

Chris Buckland

Jan 18, 2013
I purchased a dining table and chairs from Argos in March 2012. we never used this furniture untill Christmas when one of the chair legs snapped across the grain of the wood when sat on.
I contacted Argos and was told that They would replace it with like for like. however this furniture is obviously not fit for purpose and is not safe and I am afraid to let anybody else sit on it.
Argos say that as I have had the furniture for more than 30 days they will not refund. on the back of the receipt it does say that the goods have to be returned within 30 days for a refund but it also says that this does not affect your statuatary rights. I feel that my statutary rights give me the right to a refund if the goods are faulty, not fit for purpose and unsafe. Is there anything I can do about this?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Correct, the 30 day money back guarantee is a store policy.
Your statutory rights under S.14 SOGA provide for you to have either a refund, repair or replacement. However as you have had the furniture for 9 months, and obviously have no way to prove they haven't been used, the refund would only be a partial refund. But if the chair was purchased as part of a set, the partial refund would be really minimal.
You do however have the right for repair / replacement. Though I assume a repair is out of the window as it is a piece of wood after all.
This leave you with a (minimal) partial refund, or opt for a replacement. They've already offered you like for like - which makes me assume that it is in fact a different chair? Quite strange, wouldn't you want a matching set?

Anyway, choice is yours - partial refund or have a see what the like for like is... If they can't offer a suitable alternative, they may offer you a set of chairs. Worth a look into.

Oh we do love Argos here.

LJ1

Jan 22, 2014
As I said in another post, I do wish companies would make stuff last longer! Once they get past their "30 day guarantee" they seem to be off the hook!