Car Insurance Retrospectively Charging Additional Premium

Galeforce

Jan 18, 2013
Hi,

I have been with the same car insurer since Feb 2008 and consider myself a loyal and honest customer. No claims (six years No Claims Bonus), one speeding ticket (disclosed and no longer on licence). My mother is a named driver which I guess reduced the premium slightly. I do extremely little mileage.

Yesterday my premium renewal reminder came through. This is an automated system where they just take the money yearly unless you intervene. I have never really looked at it, so thought I checked it on a comparison website and it was £150 more expensive than competitors. So I phoned them to see if they could match or come close as I didn't want to move.

The premium with my insurer £430. (No claims not protected, Full Comp, etc)
A comparison quote was £280. (Protected No Claims, Full Comp, etc).

In the terms and conditions they ask you if there have been any accidents for you or named driver in the past three years. I was looking over my comparison website and mentioned an accident in 2008 (five years) where my named driver (mother) was hit by another driver. She was not at fault, but injured and a claim went through the driver at fault's insurance.

Upon mentioning this, suddenly my insurance company demanded an additional £120 (OWED) as despite not being at fault, she had been been a "higher risk" in following years. They want to retrospectively charge me £120 for a premium from 2009-2012, claiming that my policy began in Feb 2008 and this accident was is August 2008, so by not phoning to inform them I had given false information.

They also could also only offer me a £390 premium despite the next company offering a much better deal. So £390 + £120 = £510. Of course, I won't renew this policy. It's too expensive I can get better more extensive cover, cheaper.

My questions is where I stand regarding this retrospective £120 that they claim I owe. This is for policies been and long gone?! They renewed my insurance automatically and never asked for me to update my information.

I honestly thought they were aware. I never intended to withhold info. I did however have my policy briefly cancelled in 2011 when a credit card expired, and phoned and get a new policy. By that point, if three years had passed so would not have been required to disclose the accident and if I had been asked, I would have said. They claim no record of this, however I am adamant I would have told them the correct information.

As far as renewals reminders, nowhere does it mention "double checking" any information on the renewal email. It just tells you they are taking the money and re-newing the policy. Not an excuse I know but just a point. I normally miss this email year to year, and probably have paid far over the odds so this years.

I never agreed to purchase a higher premium. The insurer said that I owe the money as I didn't give them the correct information but they insured me.

My argument is that, surely I didn't agree to purchase a premium at that rate and the time has long passed. I have never made a claim. They make their money on speculation and will not pay out on any excuse. Yet they are demanding a higher premium despite the time having passed and me never making a claim. There is no risk to them.

If I have to, I'll pay but I'd rather tell them where to go. It seems total madness to demand a higher rate in retrospect, something I never contractually agreed to pay for.

Not really sure where I stand, so would be interested to hear any opinions.

Best Regards,

J