Mobile phone insurance - Phone lost abroad help needed

TajinderSingh

Jan 19, 2013
Hi All,

I need help regarding mobile phone insurance.

My mobile phone is insured under the Natwest Select silver account benefits. I lost my phone last week (7th jan) while on holiday in India. I registered a complaint with the local police within 24 hours of the incident. I flew back to UK on sunday (13th jan) and had called up T mobile reporting the incident on the 14th. I also put in a claim with Natwest regarding the loss of the phone.

CPP emailed me and asked me to send in the documents which i did sent promptly. I received a call today saying that they are declining my claim since I didnt call the network provider (T mobile) within 24 hours of the incident.

I demanded that it be accepted since I was in a foreign country but they wouldnt, have even talked to a manager.

Any help with this will be appreciated.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Any excuse to refuse payment. I take it you have checked the t&c's to make sure they are not telling porkies?

Fortunately insurance policies are covered by the FOS, not saying they will necessarily find in your favour but worth a go. First you'll have to go through theccompany complaints procedure which can take up to 8 weeks.

TajinderSingh

Jan 19, 2013
@Witch

The only point they are raising is that I didnt call up T mobile from India within 24 hours of discovering the incident. I did call them up once I reached UK.

The T&Cs do mention
If your phone has been lost, stolen or maliciously damaged, you have to do the following within 24 hours of discovering the loss:
Inform the police and get an incident reference number
Contact your mobile phone operator to stop any further unauthorised calls being made

But heck, who carries the policy document when going abroad? One little detail missed and insurance declined. Frustrated :mad:

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Just a side note... You could argue that contacting your operator when your phone has been stolen could be tricky... Especially without a phone.
:)

TajinderSingh

Jan 19, 2013
@ALweis

I will try that. I have been told that since am not satisfied with there response they'll have the Customer Attention team to give me a call regarding an appeal for this. But that can take upto 5 working days... shameless... ridiculous amount of time being taken