Car accident

kiawear

Feb 5, 2013
Hello, I've found the website as I just dont know where to turn and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last thursday I drove to a cross roads with traffic lights. It was on red on approached so waiting around 30/40 seconds before the light turned green and carried straight across, when a car hit my from the right hand side. My car did a 180 spin and ended up in the middle of the left hand turning (from where I was approaching facing down the road) and the stationary traffic (2lanes).

The first thing I rememeber was a man at the window asking if we are ok and helping us out the car (i had 3 year old daugher with me) He said he was behind me at the lights and saw everything and I had nothing to worry about as the I definatly had gone on green. I was an emotional wreak I obviously had to check and look after my daughter.

The police came and took my details, then a kind lady pullled over and took my daughter out the cold to her car whilst paramdics came to check us over. the police came to me and I was breathalised and joked that the other guy wouldnt have the puff to be breathalised. I had no seen nor did she the other party involved. The office also said to me at this point there may be a problem with the lights, as the guy as a witness to say his light was on green also.

The police asked for my keys to move the car and advised it was undrivale and I would have to tow it home, but they towed the other guys car becuase he lived a far bit away from the accident. I waited an hour for more info on what to do, but no one came to me, all the time was spent with the other party. My dad came and went over to the police but the police told him to take me home and they would come and see me later.

I went to A and E as I was and still am in pain, and to get the little one checked over. By 9pm nothing from the police I had no details at all of witnesses or the guys details no reference number so my dad took me to the police station, where the police officer was fairly rude and couldnt answer any questions He gave me driver details and said hes putting in a report and I'd have to wait. He was also adivsing dvla that this 90 year old man is unfit for driving and assured me with no car he wont be driving again. He said we both have witnesses to say our lights were on green, but he stayed for 15 mons to checked the light sequence and there was no faults with the lights.

I contacted my insurance but as I was borrowing the father in laws car I'm only on 3rd party and then phoned his insurance who wont talk to me or advise me on the best route to go ie which repair place to us or loss adjuster that they use.

the officer isn't taking my calls and on his answerphone says from tonight he is off on a course until the 1st Novemeber.

I have no idea what to do next, I didn't take legal cover on my insurance althought I was fully comp just thought this covered other vehicles too.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hello,
I'm sorry to hear your story and the situation that you're in, however unfortunately here we are a consumer rights forum, by all means there may be someone here with knowledge in RTA's that can speak to you, however from a consumer rights perspective I can only say that the police *may* have been negligent in providing their duty of care towards yourself and your daughter, but even saying that, the paramedics were with you.

You'll probably find that the insurance provider won't deal with you as you are not the policy holder, simply a named driver. Therefore you'll need the policy holder to speak to them first.
If you have a complaint you wish to lodge with regards to the treatment by the police, you can either write a letter to your local police station / the station in question, or I'm sure you can just go down and make your complaint in person.

Adam