Made to measure reclining chair.

Cherryade

Mar 1, 2013
Pleas Help me!!!

I have bought a made to measure reclining chair. after a disability assessment. The salesman came to my home. I had previously tried a chair in the disability centre, this chair was not available any longer to order.(the salesman does not work for the disability centre) The salesman showed me a catalogue and fabric and told me I could have any combination of chair,(Mix and Match styles) made to my required personal size. Fantastic just what I needed. I paid my deposit of £648.00 and was told my chair would be approximation 6 weeks.

The Chair has arrived as promised. I took delivery and handed over the balance of £647.00 in cheque form
I've only had the chair two days and all sorts of problems have cropped up. The chair seems to be a total mismatch of the styles that just don't work together. The fabric is all puckering, pulling and baggy in places The padding has not continued over the cushion which makes it very uncomfortable, also it is not very cosmetically pleasing to the eye.( the chair looks about 6 months old already) Also the side back rests have been cut unevenly a difference of about 3/4 of an Inch each side, it looks shocking. I phoned the salesman, he said the problems arise from me having mixed different styles.(the arms and back cushion, that's what I changed) the two things I don't have a problem with!!. I have insisted he comes back to look at the chair as I am not happy with the quality of the workmanship. I don't know if I have done the right thing, I have cancelled the cheque for the outstanding amount as I am so unhappy with this chair. I feel I am going to have problems with this chair.From the tone of his voice when I spoke to him.

What can I do? as the goods are not as ordered. I was told I could have any combination. It would be handmade to fit. Not a Frankenstein chair put together and forced to fit.(poor workmanship) I was not told it would affect the quality or appearance of the fabric or the chair.
Where do I stand? Is there anything I can do?
My old chair has been taken away. So I need to get this sorted asap.

Any help really appreciated
Kind regards Cherryade :confused:

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there,
I saw the other thread that you requested a delete, that's sorted and it wouldn't have been a problem anyway :)

Well my first comment to you is that cancelling the cheque typically wouldn't have been your best decision, as now you still owe the company the remainder balance regardless of a fault.
Anyway that's for another day.

Are you wanting a full refund or a replacement (correct) chair?
We need to know this before we can really assist you further.

Thanks
Adam

Cherryade

Mar 1, 2013
Hi Adam,

I am so disappointed with the chair, I think I want a refund. However if this is not possible. because the chair was made to my measurements. I would be happy to have a perfect chair replace this chair. This chair is clearly faulty. I don't really know my legal position.
I am happy to repay the £647 if I get what I ordered. or do you think by cancelling the cheque I have compromised my position. It was done in haste.
I have been put in in a very inconvenient position as I need a reclining chair. I have an unhealed broken pelvis. Lucky for me I gave my old chair to my son. I will just need to arrange transport to collect it from his house.
All I want is a comfortable reclining chair. It is agony for me to sit in a normal chair.

I would be grateful of any advice you can give me.

Kind regards cherryade :)