Car insurance cancelled because previous insurer slow to provide claims history.

gc1980

Mar 4, 2013
My current car insurer, auto direct, contacted me back in january 2013 to ask for past 5 years claims history. I contacted my previous insure, Budget, on 12th January 2013 as instructed, and requested written claims history for past 5 years. They said this would be with me within 7 working days. Nothing turned up.

After numerous phone calls to them they eventually (mid february) said they would send another copy. When this arrived it was proof of NCD, no mention of past claims history, as I requested.

By now auto direct were sending lletter upon letter requesting this information. I spoke to budget again and they said if i gave them permission, they could sort this matter out with auto direct over the phone. So naturally I did. I thought the issue had been resolved and then received another letter off auto direct saying the information was still required.

I rang budget and they said they had spoken to auto direct and given them the info they required. However, on calling auto direct straight after, they said budget would not give them any information on the matter over the phone.

This scenario has happened twice. I again requested the information by letter from budget, and this time the person I spoke to seemed to have a better understanding of what I required and said a letter would be out in 7 working days, due 05th march 2013.

In the mean time auto direct has cancelled my policy because this info is still outstanding. Will this affect my premiums when I go for insurance again? How can I sort this matter out? I thought insurance companys could find this kind of information out easily themselves?

As it happens I have never had an accident or any claims in the 9 years Ive had car insurance, and my policy is protected NCD. Im really worried that this may affect future premiums and annoyed at the fact Ive done nothing wrong and may now be penalised because of budget insurances incompetence.

Help!!!:confused:

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
There is a database which all insurers can access and which gives details of all claims so yes, they could have got this information themselves.

Insurance is covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service so you can complain to them after you have gone through AutoDirects complaints policy, I would be asking them to reinstate the insurance as they are aware the issue is the fault of a third party. I think you also need to lodge a formal complaint with Budget.

In answer to your other question, you do have to declare cancelled insurance (for any reason) and it could affect your premiums or even your ability to get insurance so you really need to sort this out quickly.

gc1980

Mar 4, 2013
Many thanks for a speedy reply!

I called budget again today to check the letter had been sent out, as ive had nothing in the post yet, to be told that there was no record the letter had been requested.:mad:

I started from the beginning of events with the gentleman at budget, who this time was very helpful. He spoke to his supervisor and put me on hold whilst he contacted autodirect to clear up this mess. 5 minutes later problem solved. Why they could not have done this back on 12th January 2013 I do not know. I guess its a lottery to as whoever picks up the phone to you "can be bothered" to help you or not

He said he had explained to them so as to not record my policy as being cancelled as it was budgets fault in delaying matters.

I called auto direct straight after and they confirmed they now had the information they required and my cover would not be interuppted.

So problem solved.:D

Now to look forward to the phones charges of calling these cash guzzling customer services numbers. Also a lesson learnt, that going for the cheapest insurer may not always prove to be a prudent descision where customer service is concerned.:)

Regards,

Gavin.