lg plasma major fault after 15 months

oldfarmdog

Mar 7, 2013
i bought a lg 3d 50" plasma, model 50pw450t, from best buys in sept 2011.
it cost nearly £600, and after being refused credit in march 2011 for a similar tv, i decided to save hard and pay CASH (still a legal tender i believe) i have had no problems with this tv untill last monday when whilst playing my xbox the picture just disapeared, although the sound continued. this tv has been in my lounge for only 15 months, and has been looked after and hasn't got a mark on it. the tv was manufactured in april 2011.
whilst sorting out some paperwork in jan 2013 i came across the best buy receipt. best buys are no longer trading and the receipt is over 12 months so it went in the shreader (mistake..yes...but not a £600 one hopefully)
after talking to lg they said they would pay 60% of the repair bill, if i can produce a receipt or proof of purchase (which i can't)
the tv then went to an approved lg repair centre.
the repair estimate is £327. £130 for me and £196 for lg.
now it seems that they are not going to honour their 60% part of the bill and leave me with a useless tv, and even if they did, it would only just cover the £192 price of the part, let alone any vat. and i dont feel this is fair.
please could someone give me some ammo to take to lg, as i feel this situation is in breach of my statutory rights, or is 15 months a suitable lifespan for a £600 tv. should i continue to fight with lg? or should i just go and buy another tv (not lg obviously)

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
No 15 months is not an acceptable lifespan for a tv, I think its probably around 5 years.

They are right in offering part payment for the repair as you have had use of the TV and if they know it was manufactured in 2011 then they can't argue that you have had it too long to be covered by warranty or SOGA.

They are being unreasonable but I fear the only way round it would be a Small Claim if they wont budge.

oldfarmdog

Mar 7, 2013
i have got hold of best buys and they have a record of my purchase from them, so lg now know i'm not acting dishounerably. because i can prove i bought this in good faith can i insist on a replacement as i feel this tv is not "fit for purpose"
or can i get a full refund? any help would be great

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
No afraid not, the best you can hope for is repair or if the TV set cannot be repaired, a replacement with you donating to the cost for the use you have had from the TV or a partial refund for the same reason