Need advice pls - faulty gearbox

r_langley

Mar 7, 2013
Hi all,

hope someone can help. Apologies if this is a little long winded!

Our car (Citroen C4 Picasso) has a problem with the gearbox. It is an ESP semi-auto type, with a manual and auto mode selector with flappy padel gear selectors either side of the searing column. The box will not select a gear and its shows 'Gearbox faulty' on the dash display.

We approached our Citroen dealer originally to ask what the car is worth as we were thinking of part exchanging it, even with the fault. They asked if we could get the car back to their garage so they could make an assessment and also look at the fault in case it was not as serious as we ourselves had feared. They came back to us the next day that they believed that replacing a particular part (can't remember the name) would fix the problem and they could fit it for a fixed price. They later came back to us to apologise that the quote was wrong, they were offering this at a special discount, which seemed reasonable to us and we agreed for them to go ahead if they were sure it would fix the issue. They said they were quite sure and added if they found anything further they would inform us before proceeding.

The part was ordered, delivered and fitted but it had NOT fixed the problem!

Of course they now think it's much more serious and believe it could be damage within the box itself. Which I know is going to cost the earth! They can't confirm anything until they open the box and have a look inside which would mean taking out the engine and any other bits to make that's possible and then take the gearbox apart. I've asked them for a ball park figure, but I know this is going to be thousands!
I've yet to hear from them.

• What rights do I have if the garage fits a part to the car they believe would fix the problem but doesn't?
  • Do I still have to pay the cost of the work up to this point?
  • Do we have any grounds due to their initial assessment being wrong, was this bad advice?
  • What grounds do I have to refuse payment on wrong/bad advice or failure to rectify the problem and what can I get them to reasonably do, continue the repairs but without further cost to us; we would be happy to pay the original quoted price so long as they fix the box whatever needs doing to it, to get the car road worthy again?
  • Should I take the matter further?

I'd like to make it clear that so far no paper work or monies has been exchanged, and nothing signed.

Hope someone can shed some light on this as I haven't a clue when it comes to dealing with issues like this.:eek:

Best regard,
Rob.:)

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If someone gives you a quote to fix something and doesn't fix it then you don't have to pay as they haven't done what they said they would do. However this doesn't give you the right to insist they do whatever is needed to fix it for that quoted price.

They could take the new part out but they must still have the old one to replace it.

I'm guessing the best bet is to go ahead with the part-ex as it will cost them much less than they will charge you.