DFS - Any advice appreciated...

tez6975

Mar 11, 2013
I'm after some advice please. Sorry about the length...

I purchased a corner sofa and manual recliner chair from DFS in November 2012. I was hoping to have the items for Christmas. I was originally going to buy it on buy now pay later 4 yrs interest free credit, but the man who took my order said that it was normally up to 10 weeks for delivery but if I paid cash he would try get it delivered for Christmas for me... So, that’s what I did. I paid £200 deposit when I made the order and the rest had to be paid on delivery - £1712
On the website they only had recliner chairs, manual, electric and battery. I wanted a fixed chair not a recliner and the man said I could have one but it would cost me the same price as the battery recliner which was the most expensive nearly £200 more. So I went with the cheapest manual recliner to keep the cost down. There was no sign of the items before Christmas but he did say that it wasn’t a guarantee.
When it got to 11 weeks and I still hadn’t received my items, I rang them and they said that it was going to be March for delivery which would’ve taken it to around 15 weeks from order so I said well in that case I want to cancel the order. I was advised they would look into it and get back to me which they did, and was told my order was in the shop awaiting delivery. The manager rang me and arranged delivery for Friday 15th February 2013 which I agreed to. I had to ask my mum to come round to wait in for the items for me as I had to go out. Whilst I was out I received a phone call from DFS saying hi, we are just ringing you to advise me my sofa is ready for dispatch and they wanted to arrange a delivery date with me. So I explained my mum is sat in the house awaiting delivery as they are due to be delivered today... He said that wasn’t the case and would get the manager to ring me which he did and he arranged for the delivery men to go back to the shop and collect my items. So I did receive them that day. Eventually!
When the items were delivered and the delivery men had gone, I checked the items and there was a couple of faults. Also there was a 3 inch screw left half under one leg digging into my carpet that had been left on the floor...

The leather on the back of the chair didn’t fall straight it was slanted to the left. The back of the chair was 1 inch higher on one side than the other and the padding on one arm was slightly less than the other and the stitching on the front of that arm was looped at the front where it had missed a couple of stitches. The chair also felt very rickety. Doesn’t feel strong to say it because £619 just for the chair alone, it wasn’t cheap.
There was a small circle mark on the back corner of the corner suite, the padding on the arm compared to the padding on the chair arms was flat and hardly any padding in at all.
Also after sitting on the corner suites seats the one nearest to the arm slopes to the right and to the back right corner after sitting on it for 20 mins or so. The one next to it slopes to the left slightly , maybe because the one next to it is pulling it down not sure. And another seat next to the end piece slopes slightly to the right. It is so uncomfortable and is hurting my hips trying to rectify sitting up when it is making you lean.
A technician came out after I reported the faults to customer services, and said he was going to sort the mark on the back of the corner sofa ( which he didn’t do) and fixed the stiching . He then tried telling me that there was nothing wrong with the chair frame / leather or sofa seats and that was how it was supposed to be. He said he would speak to manager and explain that I wasn’t happy with the padding in the seats and that I would hear back from manager. 5 days later I didn’t hear anything, so I had to ring them again. I spoke to the manager and was told that he received the report saying that there was nothing wrong with it, so he didn’t think there was any action to take. I said that wasn’t the case so the manager arranged to come out to see me personally. Which he did, he also tried telling me that this was how it was supposed to be. And basically said that I should’ve gone to view the items in the shop before buying it as this is how it is in the shop too.
My argument is when you pay £1912 for corner sofa and chair online , as i don’t drive and couldn’t get to the nearest showroom, you expect the items to be good quality and 100 % ok when it arrives.
They did offer to come out to refill 3 cushions and sofa arm, re-dye the mark on the back of the sofa and he said he would look into getting me a fixed chair to replace the manual recliner as good will gesture! He also advised me that the fixed chair should have been the same price as the manual recliner and when I ordered the chair I was advised at the wrong price. Otherwise I would’ve got the fixed chair in the 1st place.
I requested a refund as it has now been 4 month since I ordered the set and I’m not happy as I could end up waiting another 10 weeks for the fixed chair and that is if he gets it passed to swop it for me otherwise I will be stuck with the one I have. And I have to have another technician in my home to repad the seats and arm. I don’t think it’s acceptable.

The manager has refused to give me a refund as he said they want to help me to sort out the problems. Because it has a 10 year springs and frame gaurantee and 2 year padding gaurantee. But like I said to him there shouldn’t be any problems in the 1st place.
Is there any way I could get my money back without taking it to court and having to pay solicitors?
Any help appreciated.

:(

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Sorry, sitting here on my own laughing like a lunatic at your comment "there was a couple of faults" :D

Firstly, tell them you are rejecting it under the Sale of Goods Act, had you known at the time you could have sent it back undervthe DSR but too late for that now.

Clearly this suite is not of satisfactory quality nor defect free.

Once you have made a formal complaint they have 8 weeks to provide a satisfactory response (that's satisfactory to you, not them). If you are still not satisfied you can submit a small claim through

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

No solicitor needed, initial cost £25, think it costs under £200 if you need to go through the complete process which rarely happens and you can claim it back off them when they lose (which they will) ;)

tez6975

Mar 11, 2013
Thanks for the reply.
Glad i made you laugh lol :D

I have just spent an hour writing an indepth letter of dates, phone calls, engineer and manager vists etc and all details relating to the faults in full

I have just added The Sale of Goods Act 1979 into the letter thanks for that :)

I will reply and let you know the outcome
Thanks again.

CustomerservicesDFS

Mar 12, 2013
I am sorry to learn you are unhappy with your furniture. I would love to see if I can help so please contact me on 01302 330365 and ask for Matthew Howarth.

Kind regards

Customer Service - DFS