iPhone fault and 'reasonable' quality expectation

jamesgandon

Apr 4, 2013
I purchased an iPhone 3GS from Three in June 2011 on a 2-year contract with an up-front cost of £49. In recent weeks the battery life has dramatically reduced. Sometimes it goes dead at 60% battery. Personally I would expect a phone purchased on a 2-year contract to last for 2 years. I have researched by statutory rights and I would deem this be a 'reasonable' length of time to expect the product to work. Am I within my rights to ask Three to repair or replace the phone for free?

If they send me to the Apple store to get the phone replaced, how do I then handle the repair costs etc?

Many thanks

James

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
A working phone forms part of your contract so yes, you are within your rights to have it repaired, do not let them tell you they 'gave' you the phone for 'free'.

If they can't repair it (which should probably only be a new battery) they can give you a used phone as a replacement but it must be the same spec.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi James,
Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act, your phone should be of satisfactory quality, as the phone forms part of the service contract.
You can 100% expect them to repair / replace the phone. If you choose to go with the repair option, you can also expect a courtesy phone to allow continued use of the service, however if no courtesy phone is provided - you can work out the lost amount and claim it back. Ie, if your contract is £30 p/m , and you have no phone for 14 days, you can claim back £14 (in a 30 day month).
If you decide you want a replacement, you'll find in your T's & C's that you usually will receive a refurbished phone back. (Some people aren't happy about this). If however the refurbished phone breaks down, you can still get it repaired / replaced again.

As for Three sending you to Apple, tell them no. It's their job to organise repairs and to also foot the bills. You have a contract with Three, not Apple. That would be like buying a bottle of coke, and being told to take it back to the coke factory.

Oh the joy of phone contracts.