Desktop PC

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I'm looking at getting a new desktop pc.

I've been looking around in the sales and been a little disappointed at what is on offer. So I am posting this here and seeing if people will respond with any information and advice on where to look to get a decent machine, and who to avoid.

I'm looking for something with a decent monitor, decent graphics card (At least 512mb) and at least 3Gb if not 4Gb of RAM. Hard Disk size is irrelevant as I will probably take the one out of my current machine and use that as a slave in the new PC too, plus I have a huge external drive that is almost empty. I also tend to prefer Pentium machines over AMD.

Any advice?

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Thanks for all this info, I was actually looking at the Sony one as described on that PC Pro list, so it's good to readit comes well recommended.

At the moment though price reductions on machines that I'm interested in are a little hard to find, so I am hanging fire for the time being.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
My advice: don't do it, get a MacIntosh!

I made the switch to Macs two years ago and have never looked back since. Goodbye random registry errors, unexplained crashes and waiting 10 minutes for computers to boot up and hello lots of fab applications and software that comes already installed, such as adobe for making proper pdfs is all fully integrated.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
PS my last computer was a Sony Viao. It was a good computer and I got a good 4 years from it but my cheaper MacBook is in a different dimension.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I was looking at a possible Mac, but I use pretty specific software for my work and a lot of my work databases are designed specifically for us. I am worried that if I port them over onto a Mac, a lot of the processes we need won't work.

What have your experiences been with the software?

Another thing that put me off was a course I went to recently which had a whole suite of Mac's but the engineer was cursing them saying how useless they were and that he could not wait until they were all changed back to PC's... I've no idea why, the one I used was fine it seemed to me.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Another thing that put me off was a course I went to recently which had a whole suite of Mac's but the engineer was cursing them saying how useless they were and that he could not wait until they were all changed back to PC's... I've no idea why, the one I used was fine it seemed to me.
I suspect he was a PC Engineer and didn't have a clue what he was doing with Macs!!!!!

Rather like the way all IT Engineers scream at companies not to use Linux, it's far more reliable, robust and secure as well as being so much cheaper but they'd all be out of work because they can only fix Micro$oft!!!!