T-Mobile 'free browsing for 12 months' sim?

cheesecake

May 8, 2013
Good morning,

I am (fingers, toes and eyes crossed) hoping to be released from a contract with BT very soon, and have been looking around for new ways of getting internet access without signing my life away to a contract again. I'm afraid after 17 years of BT being amazing, they turned into Del-Boy almost overnight :( so I am not easily going to trust another company.

One idea is mobile broadband and I have been stupidly researching this all night.

I have found on a trusted forum, news of a T-Mobile, 12 months unlimited browsing, 500MB download every month for 12 months and even a £5 for calls or texts, on a SIM card. I have tried as hard as I can to research this, but all I can find is the SIM for sale with this deal apparently on it.

This would be perfect for me as I pretty much only browse and never download anything, no telly, music, films, dont even stream radio. I wonder, has anyone ever actually used one of these SIMs? or even heard of anyone using one? I can't find any T-Mobile documentation about them, but they are genuine T-Mobile, maybe the cynic in me says T-Mobile have erased all trace of them for fear of people finding out they are available still, which would obviously save people a load of cash.

Any help would be appreciated, many thanks :)

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hmm,
These are those horrible dongles, I personally would never use them. 'Unlimited browsing' - sounds fancy right? No. The 500mb download limit is tiny and you'll easily get close / over that. 'Browsing' according to t-mobile is everything other than 'downloading' , though downloading isn't just DOWNLOADING... It will also cover streaming and online apps - listening to radio online, catch up tv, youtube videos, Skype calls, watching a catwalk video for clothes on a retailers site, any video advert on a site etc will all come out of this.

1 hour of youtube video = 500mb roughly. Or 2 hours of a Skype call.
The 'browsing' part will literally be opening web pages.
I think the dongles are only good if you're the sort of person to turn on a computer once a week, check emails, and come off again.

You've also got to bear in mind the signal coverage of the dongle, if you have an extension build to your home made of breeze blocks - it won't work in there.
If you have a radio nearby, signal can drop. If you're on your mobile phone near it, you'll get signal interference.

T-mobile are also now part of EE, maybe that's why you can't find it?.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Furthermore - the speed you'll get will never match landline broadband. Dongles offer the same speed as the connection you get on your phone when out and about.
If somebody send you a picture for example, for it to even show, it'll use maybe 3mb . If they use a high res dslr, the picture can use up anything up to 20mb!

If you're able to borrow one, test out the signal at your home and see if you can cope with the slow speeds.
Also it's worth noting you may not be able to check how much data you've used, so you'll be playing a game of scrimping the Internet at all times for fear of the over-usage charges.

Adam

cheesecake

May 8, 2013
Thank you for your reply :)
The thing is all i do IS read webpages :) I never listen to online radio, stream music, download games, tv, films, so maybe this would be ok for me?

I didn't realise T-Mobile merged into EE, that does maybe point to why it's not available anymore or FAQ's available on the internet.

Your comments are very much appreicated :)

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hmm...
Well if you're positive that you'll never view a video or anything streamed, then I'm sure it'll be fine.
Do note aswell though, that mere logos, images or any other 'item' on a webpage will be 'downloaded' as a cache item, and thus will be downloading (to an extent). Though the typical web surfer (without vids and stuff) uses around 10-20mb per day.
So in that case, you would be fine - provided that you can get adequate signal and the speed isn't too slow :D

Adam