Fault Samsung TV after 18months company purchase has closed down

Tariq

May 7, 2013
Please could someone advise me, I understand the Sales and Goods act and I am entitled to a full repair up to 6 years, but who is responsible for this? If the company I bought it from has closed down and sold part of the business to another company who now only deal with business to business not customers from the public.
In an email from Samsung they say. " Essentially you are correct. The retailer has a duty of care under the sales of goods act that lasts 6 years. A good guide on how to get them to admit this is here www_bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/consumer-law-sale-of-goods]BBC One - Watchdog - Sale of goods Act 1979 (as amended

Previous email from Samsung..
The directives you have pointed out are all in regards to the rights you have with the point of sale, not the manufacturer. As the manufacturer our only legal liability is to the warranty we provide with the product, a warranty we are not legally required to provide but do as a sign of good faith in our products.

Your warranty expired on 22.11.12, however as a good will gesture we do extend the cover on the screen parts of all our televisions to 4 years. This extension only covers parts and not labour or inspection charges. In order to provide this cover we require an inspection report confirming that the screen part needs to be replaced. This inspection can be carried out by any engineer however we do recommend having the inspection carried out by an authorised service centre as the work will need to be carried out by one as they are the only engineers we can pay via warranty claims.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Sorry but you are mistaken with the Sale of Goods Act, as Samsung have said, the supplier holds a duty of care - this does not mean that all products must last 6 years, nor does it entitle anyone to a repair, refund or replacement for 6 years.
Anyway, unfortunately when a company closes down, you really are stumped unless it is reasonable in the eyes of a judge to pass on the duty to the next directors whom purchase the company - this would be very rare, and only really happen if for example: you owned a company, trading as 'Tariq's Shop', decided after a while to close down and reopen as 'Tariq's Electrics' - whereby you are still the owner and have begun trading again doing virtually the same, just under a new name.

Sometimes when a company is for sale, they sell off their liabilities too - you need to ask this new B2B company.

Otherwise, unfortunately you're stuck with Samsung's suggestion.
Sorry it's not the news you hoped for.
Adam

Tariq

May 7, 2013
Thanks for quick reply, the company I bought it from is Edc Direct Ltd not sure if you know them I will try to find out if the liability have moved over