Sky + recordings

gw121267

May 14, 2013
I recently had to downgrade my Sky package due to financial restraints, however I then discovered that programmes I had recorded on to my Sky + box, on the channels that I had cancelled, could no longer be viewed.
On contacting Sky I was informed that this was correct. My argument that I had paid for these programmes and should be able to watch them when I want (which is the whole point of the Sky + box) fell on deaf ears and I was told that if I re-subscribed to these channels I would be able to watch the programmes.
Surely they would be breaking their contract with me if they do not allow me to view the programmes that I have subscribed and paid for.
Is their anything I can do, or any legislation that I can quote to Sky when I put my complaint in writing?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi gw.
You'll probably find this in their terms & conditions - after all you should only receive the service whilst the subscription is paid.
Otherwise you could pay for one month, record everything and then cancel the subscription but continue to make use of the service.

In my opinion at least, that does sound fair.
There will be no legislations broken, this is just a bog standard contract which you have terminated but still hope to make use of the service afterwards at no cost.

See what I'm saying?
Adam

gw121267

May 14, 2013
Adam - I understand what you are saying however I have recorded and paid for these programmes in good faith and therefore, for want of a better phrase, own them. The fact that I do not want to view or record programmes that are being shown now should have no bearing on the programmes that I wanted to view or record when I was paying for the service.
I am assuming then that if I had recorded the programmes on to a video tape they would then be asking me to erase them.
It's only a couple of programmes so no big deal, just the principal.
If I had been told in advance that this would happen at least I would have known.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Gw, the thing with legal matters is that nobody can give you an answer except for a judge hearing the case, it's all about interpretation and the way we (individually) interpret the law. And the same goes for a judge, it's all interpretation.

To me, you make an offer for the service, they accept. Consideration swaps over (the service for the money).
As soon as you make it known that the contract is to be terminated and you stop payments - the service stops.

Copying the programmes to a tape would be an infringement of copyright law - specifically breaching an exclusive right , thus having the potential to be prosecuted or sought after for damages.

If you take alook at your T's & C's, it's bound to be in there unfortunately.
It's nothing personal, I can assure you that.
Adam

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Interesting, thanks for the heads up, never heard this one before but its very interesting, I do agree with Adam tho, you will probably find its in their t&c's and you will also find you never 'own' any sky+ material.