Most unhelpful customer services

Disgruntled2

May 20, 2013
I shopped around with my good lady who suffers from arthritis for a comfortable chair for her, we finished up in CSL in Gateshead (metro centre) where she tried out just about every armchair in the shop, we settled on one along with a matching footstool and ordered it, paid for it and arranged delivery, in the shop it was comfortable, after a couple of hours at home she found that pain in her arthritic joints was becoming unbearable.
Delivered on the Friday, contacted the shop on Sunday, call back from customer services on Monday, to cancel on the day of order £69, to cancel on delivery £129, to arrange collection to return items £198, and a offer of a credit note to spend in store, the fact that there was nothing else in the shop we wanted was irrelevant, no amount of discussing problems made any difference, now we are stuck with a chair and footstool not even one week old,
It is not fit for our purpose but no help from the shop,
Whatever happened to good old helpful staff who understood customers needs and helped them achieve them, unfortunately if there was a league table for helpful staff CSL would be in the relegation zone.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I can fully understand how you're feeling but in law they are quite within their rights, it isn't that the chair isn't fit for purpose, just that it is unsuitable for your wife and as it isn't faulty, they are under no obligation to replace or refund it. Their charges are steep tho!

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
It's also worth pointing out that chairs, sofas, mattresses and just about any other furniture will always be softer in a showroom due to the wear that they get from people jumping around on it.
Either way, not the news you hoped for

Disgruntled2

May 20, 2013
Yes, I fully understand that showroom furniture would be softer, I can't complain about the comfort, my gripe really is that once the problem was identified the whole attitude was "tough, it's not our fault you're not happy"
As for the comfort it was spot on for most, just not for my wife because of her arthritis but thanks for the reply,

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
I know where you're coming from, but without being rude about it, it is a 'tough' situation.
The Acts and Regulations exist to provide a fair ground between consumers and businesses, and that's exactly the situation here - CSL haven't done anything wrong, it is just unfortunate that it is wrong for you.
If it was the case that the armchair was tailored made to your spec, but arrived not to your spec, they'd have to sort it out. But instead you've gone to a showroom, picked something, had it delivered and now decide it's not right.
It's all about fairness to both parties I'm afraid

Disgruntled2

May 20, 2013
ALewis, thanks for the comments, fully agree with you and understand why the protection policies are in place for the consumer and retailer.
That doesn't mean I have to be happy with it, I had no objections to paying the £198 collection charge for my own mistake if it wasn't going to pay it up front and still finish up with a credit note for the full £738.
It's a big shop and its not as if they wouldn't still be able to sell it in.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
I know, I'm not saying that you have to be happy with it, I'm just doing the middle fair man thing.
And I totally agree with you, CSL can certainly re-sell an item with no problems, however then you're pleading with their goodwill - which they clearly don't have.

ReLate

Aug 18, 2013
Hi all, we are genuinely looking for some market research help as we are onto a really interesting idea that put a lot of satisfaction in the hands of customers when it comes to services and even the service elements of product purchases. We are not selling anything to individuals, that element will be free, we are looking to create something that changes the approach those companies whom do not value customer experience, but we need your help. Please take the quick survey (you can sign up to a one off email to tell you about if ONLY if you would like to) and pass the link onto as many people as possible.

.surveymonkey.com/s/DT6HZTX

Ashley1988

May 19, 2013
London
Well, it's not suprising to me, since everywhere I went, there is similar customer service. I even take it as a normal thing now. Times change and we don't even realize it's for the worse.

stable

Feb 13, 2016
Hi all, we are genuinely looking for some market research help as we are onto a really interesting idea that put a lot of satisfaction in the hands of customers when it comes to services and even the service elements of product purchases. We are not selling anything to individuals, that element will be free, we are looking to create something that changes the approach those companies whom do not value customer experience, but we need your help. Please take the quick survey (you can sign up to a one off email to tell you about if ONLY if you would like to) and pass the link onto as many people as possible.

.surveymonkey.com/s/DT6HZTX