Insurance company - Twisting their policy to blame me!! :(

rokz_2005

May 22, 2013
3 years ago I had insured my car for Social use only however near the end of the policy I rented the car out to my friend for about 2 months and he used it for business purposes and gave it out on daily rental. The agreement was that he does whatever he wants to do with it and he was totally responsible for repairs, cover etc.

While in his possession there was 2 accidents which I was not in anyway a part of and did not know until a lot later.

After a little investigation by my insurance company they have sent me the final outcome (extracts pasted below)

''You have advised in a previous statement that your car has been used for Hire and Reward purposes since 2008. This type of use is excluded under General Condition 8 of the policy: -

"Car Sharing
We will not cover any loss arising out of the use of your car for the carriage of passengers for hire or reward." - My argument here is that I'm not asking them to cover for this as I was not even involved in the accidents therefore it is between the driver and third party. Why do they feel the need to put this on me.

What I feel this condition means is that I used my car for example to take passenger from A-B and charged them. I also feel that they are twisting the condition and using that as an excuse.

I must also refer you to the section of your policy, entitled ‘Keeping your policy up to date’. This section advises you to: -

"Please tell us before
- if you are going to change what you use your car for (e.g. if you start using it for business travel when you were not covered for this before)". - My concern here again is that I feel that they are misrepresenting the conditions of the policy. The use of insurance on my vehicle has always been the and remained the same which is for social and domestic pleasure. When I gave the car to my friend, that was my property given to my friend and the use of my vehicle when in my possession remains the same.

It explains that any incorrect information could affect the amount of premium you pay, the amount you are entitled to claim, whether you are entitled to claim, or even the validity of the policy.

We are entitled to void your insurance policy from the inception date where there has been a misrepresentation which may influence the risk.

Had you made us aware you intended to use your car for Hire and reward purposes, we would have been unable to offer cover or indicate a premium. Thus type of use is unacceptable to our current underwriting criteria.

As a consequence, we have decided to exercise our option to declare your policy null and void from the inception date. As a result, we are unable to deal with your claim''

When my friend had the car he said he did have insurance and for one of the accident a claim was put through his own insurance company but that did not go through as he apparently got the insurance through false pretence (which my insurance company told me)

I bought the insurance for myself and did not let anyone use my insurance and I don’t really expect them to pay out for it as the accidents has nothing to do with me or the insurance company. How can I take this further?

I also feel threatened, bullied and their letter seems quite intimidating, almost like a bailiff.

The other thing is my so called friend is now avoiding me and have no cooperation from him whatsoever GRRR:mad:

Thank you for your time.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Sorry not sure I understand your query, you can't insure your car for personal use then give it to someone else to hire out and expect your cover to still be valid.

Your friend should have insured the car for the purpose for which it was used and covered any damage through that insurance.

Your insurance company are quite within their rights to void the policy given the circumstances.

Are you trying to claim for damage through your own insurance?

rokz_2005

May 22, 2013
Sorry if ive been unclear.

Ill break it down into points.
I insured the car for personal use
I gave the car to my friend and he gave it out on rent. I was aware. He gave it out by insuring the car through his own company.
In the meantime when the car was free, i drove it. Hence why i kept my insurance.
The car had been involved in 2 accidents which i was not involved in at all. I was made aware almost 3 years later that when i tried to get insurance on a car and they told me that i haven't declared any accident. Im thinking hold on i havent had any.
They told me to contact my insurance company from 3 years ago.
I called them and they said they had been trying to get a hold of me. I find out that they were sending the correspondence to the wrong address so obviously i would not reply.
I gave them a statement explaining the above but in more detail.
I am not trying to claim anything as i was not involved in the accident. For whatever reason which i cant figure out. They are coming back to me telling me that my policy from the past has been made void. Reasons above.
What i cant understand is that. Why are they trying to punish me for an accident cause by someone else.
My friend had bought the insurance dodgy so they wont cover the claim (made by third parties)
I did not change the use of my car for myself which was still social and why are they saying they wont represent me. Again i dont want to be because i played no part in the accident. Should tp not chase up the insurance company my friend was using and let them deal with it and the driver/ person responsible for the car back then..?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
No they are right, you are supposed to inform them of any change of use of the vehicle as this increases the risk, obviously the third party have got hold of your insurance details and are now trying to claim from them.

Having insurance cancelled also causes problems further down the line as you have to tell any future insurance company that you've had insurance cancelled.

Your friend has caused you serious problems but in one thing you are right, they don't have a claim from your insurers but this still doesn't affect your own insurers right to cancel the policy for non disclosure.

rokz_2005

May 22, 2013
Thanks for the reply.
I understand that i should have normally told the insurance company of any changes. But this change does not affect my own circumstance. The insurance was to only cover me to use the vehicle under SD&P. If i was to use te car to travel to work thats when the risk to my policy would change. That s when i would have to notify them??
If i gave the car to my fried who was using his own insurance then anything that happens while the car is in their possession is his responsibility no?
Like a speeding ticket/camera flash. They want to know who the driver is as they are responsible for speeding not the owner.
If i told them i was giving the car out of on hire and i wanted them to cover it i guess i would understand but thats not the case.

Can anyone direct me towards any legal companies or what type of solicitors i should consult to get help on this. Many thanks