can i demand a refund?

vicki

Dec 30, 2008
I purchased a diamond ring and approximately a year later a stone had fallen out. I had no receipts but returned it to the jewellers who sent it to head office to see if anything could be done.
The response was that the store would be happy to exchange the item. i went in to select an item but decided there was nothing i wanted/liked at that time and asked for a refund.
The store said that the exchange was a gesture of good will as I had no proof of purchase and that they could not offer a refund without the proof of purchase, but if i could find something to prove the above that it shouldn't be a problem.
They refused to give me a credit note instead of keeping it as a booked in item because the store manager said she was unsure if this would affect my right to a refund because a credit note may be accepted as an exchange and close the repair note.
Am i entitled to a refund if they can offer me an exchange?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Replacement Diamond Ring

Hi Vicki,

Proof of purchase doesn't need to be a receipt a bank statement or a credit card statement will do. Do you have this or did you pay with cash?

Tony

vicki

Dec 30, 2008
payment

Hi Tony

I did pay with card, and am aware of a statement being acceptable, just can't remember exact date to trawl through!

But is what they told me accurate, they can offer an exchange but not a refund? I find that strange?!!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Vicki,

This is defined by the Sale of Goods Act - repair first, then replace and finally refund. The replacement has to be a like-for-like if not you can demand a refund. Otherwise you can argue that you have lost confidence in them totally and would like a refund. They can insist on proof of purchase if you want a refund, so you might have to do some digging.

I hope this helps

Tony

Franczola

Dec 21, 2008
Hi Vicki,

Your problem sounds very familiar to a problem that Im having at the moment. I posted a thread about it on this page.
As you can see, my ring has lasted less than yours.

I'd be keen to find out where you bought your ring?

Thanks,
Franc'