Credit check fail for phone contracts after cancelling one during cool off

SamR1988

Jun 1, 2013
Hi,

My fiancee and I bought into a Three contract (on seperate bank accounts) then later realised that the signal was actually much poorer than what they had explained. We called up to try and resolve the situation, and were told that the best option would be to cancel the contracts.

Went into the store the next day to cancel and did it. Then we went over to another networks store to get a different contract as we are both in need of new phones and when we got to the credit check it failed for both of us on our joint account. We went over to our bank and they said our credit rating was good - they could see no problems from their side. So we assumed the member of staff putting it through had messed up, so we went to the same network but a different store to try again, this time using our seperate accounts again. The check then failed again.

Totally confused about what is going on. I have a hunch that it may have something to do with cancelling the contracts on the same day as appyling for a new one - but we werent told this would be an issue when we cancelled.

We both currently pay several monthly payments and rent so its not as if our rating would be that bad. My other worry is that doing the two failed checks (each) may affect our rating too.

We've never had any problems before with this sort of thing.

Any help/direction will be most appreciated. Thank you for reading.