Concrete posts, fencing and driveway in progress, advice urgently needed!

tp303

Jun 7, 2013
Hey folks, new to the forum and need some advise on driveway/fencing works in progress!! We are on a circular cul-de-sec and our drive starts narrow and widens sloping down towards the house. We agreed to have the whole driveway done with drainage and concrete posts and fencing either side (we have shared boundaries which is odd I know).

One side of the fence looks alright, but the other side has posts at random levels, panels sticking up above the fence posts and the posts at the end of the drive are nowhere near level, I have raised the issues with the contractors who have assured me this is unavoidable as they insisted on putting all of the posts 24-30" into the ground (it is all completely solid) and this was simply "the lay of the land".

Where do I stand? Surely the end of posts could have been chopped off the high ones to attempt to level them out, also if they have gone too far down they could have just bought a longer post? It just doesn't seem properly planned. It is all concreted in now, so it will be a big job to fix if worth it, but I just wondered if I had grounds to reduce the fee.

He's said it's been a nightmare job, and their planned fencing contractor took one look and refused to do it, so they got on and did it themselves (I didn't see this, this is just what I was told). So surely if I was paying for a contractor and I got something else this is grounds to reduce the fee?

Apart from this aesthetic annoyance they have done a decent job. Am I being unreasonable?

Help! I will need to pay at the end of today so any advice is much appreciated. Thanks..

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If the drive slopes then the fence posts and panels should slope correspondingly so the fence looks level with the ground, I would give him the choice of removing and refixing the fence correctly or reducing the bill accordingly, the work has to be of satisfactory quality.