Electrician wont sign off

motorhead

Jun 13, 2013
Hello,

Long story short. We employed a builder to project manage an extension. An electrician was contracted by the builder to totally rewire the house and to provide new electrics for the extension.
It transpires that the builder has not paid the electrician for his work even though we have been invoiced by the builder and have paid the amount. The sparky has not completed the final tests due to not being paid and as a result we have no certificate for electrics in the house.
We have nothing personal against the sparky as he is a lot of money out of pocket and the builder has not paid him. By the same token, we cannot get the house signed off by building control without the certificate. The contact is with the builder as is the electricians but the builder is not being helpful.
Any suggestions / help much appreciated

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
The electrician being paid is not of your concern, it's between sparky and builder.
If sparky wont complete work and provide certificate, write a letter to the builder, notify him of what is remaining and that should he not get the sparky to finish the job you will have no option but to take him (the builder) to the Small Claims Court for the cost of paying someone else to complete the job. Provide a deadline for response (generally 10-14 days).

You send the letter to the builder as your contract for the job is with him, not sparky, and he is in breach of contract.
Note: make a copy of the letter and send it by recorded means (for proof of delivery).

As for sparky, he needs to take the builder to court

Adam

motorhead

Jun 13, 2013
Thanks for the advice. I thought as much. I'm not holding my breath regarding the builder as its a ltd company and is currently showing as dormant on companies house