Samsung Galaxy S2 - Screen Repair rights

Seany1875

Jun 17, 2013
Hi there, first post and all!

Basically I smashed my screen about a month and a half ago and got it repaired at a cost of £90. At the time I was given a 4 week warranty on it and thought nothing of it as assumed everything would be fine. But around 3 weeks later the resolution on the screen went brighter than it used to be and there was no way of changing it, I was out of the city of repair at the time so just carried on using it as it didnt effect performance. However the other night a dark blue half circle appeared on the bottom right of my screen, but again didnt effect performance. However the next morning I woke up and the small half circle had spread right over the bottom right quarter of the screen and the whole screen was now a blue colour. Over the next few hours the circle spread more and more and now the phone does not display any output. I took it to a different shop and they said that it would be £95 to fix it. Obviously I dont want to fork out another large chunk of money to fix a screen I have not damaged or broken etc. Was just curious as to any rights I had regarding this problem before I call the original shop as 4 weeks seems a very unreasonable length of time for a warranty of a new part which set me back £90.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Take it back to the original repairers - remember warranties are in addition to your statutory rights.
Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act, any service must be carried out with reasonable care and skill - which is likely where they've gone wrong, perhaps they've messed something up. Of course if its the glass piece that's faulty and not the workmanship - they must also replace this as it would fail under S.14 of the Sale of Goods Act .

Either way, you are entitled to take it back and have the issue sorted free of charge within 'a reasonable time'. Ie - if the original repair took 2 hours to complete, they can't say that it'll take 10 days to fix.

Also worth noting: resolution of a screen does not change, nor does resolution and brightness have any connection to each other.
Adam