help

xt500tom

Jun 28, 2013
can anyone tell me my rights?
i purchased a street door some 6 years ago with a ten year warranty, it has now developed a fault, i have been in touch with the seller, and they acknowledged the fault, they told us that we could have a replacement, which is fine, so we decided on another colour and different glass as the original colour shade was not available, neither was the glass. now they are telling us that we can only have the replacement door at the same colour (red) even though it is darker than what we have and can choose from only the glass they say, which are not really what we would choose, considering we paid extra for designer glass to start with. now we are being told to contact the manufacturer to find out what we can have, (these are not whom we bought the door from,) they have the door in the 4 basic colours and premium colours which are all the same price, the door colour we chose is the premium colour, which they say we cannot have as it is more costly . this is now in its ninth week since we reported the fault. do i have to accept their choice or fight for mine?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
As you are claiming under a manufacturers warranty you can deal durect rather than with the seller, the replacement must be equal specification to the original so if you paid extra for any element, such as the glass, then they must replace it like for like, if you didn't buy a premium door originally, you cannot demand one as a replacement but they should give you the option of choosing to pay for the upgrade if there is an additional cost.

xt500tom

Jun 28, 2013
hi thanks for your reply , as you say it must be of equal specification to the original but the red they offer is a good few shades darker ,and the glass they offer is totally different from the glass in my door, it would be like you asking for your walls to be in natural calico and getting cream lol , i called as a different customer the manufacturer today and ask if there was any price difference between there 4 basic colours and premium colours and there is not i just cannot understand whats the big deal is in changing the door colour if they cannot supply the door in the red i bought 6 years ago i don't want it

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Often these long warranties are offered to improve sales as they expect most people will lose the documentation, proof of purchase or just forget. Good luck.

xt500tom

Jun 28, 2013
I wish I was as organised as you.... : )
tony what do you think my chances are with this one ie getting what i am after ie colour door i want and glass i like or a refund if they cannot supply same door:)

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Well you're fully entitled to a door of equal spec.
If the original door is no longer produced, or if parts of the door are no longer produced, the retailer must either: offer a lower grade part along with a minor refund (to account for the loss in value) or offer a higher grade part at their expense.

As far as colours go, I think this would be 'de minimis' in the eyes of a court, however it's always worth pursuing.

You can advise the retailer that you have taken legal advice and that you are entitled to the (same door) replacement, however of course if its not made anymore, you'll have to accept that fact.
But as Witch said, it's a warranty, you can go straight to the manufacturers.

If you decide to opt for a refund, you will only be entitled to a partial refund (to account for the time you've had use of the door).
So for example. Door cost £1000 . Warranty life 10 years. 6 years use = £600. You'd be entitled to ~£400 .

Adam

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You will have a better chance with the manufacturer under the terms of the warranty, which are worth checking carefully.

Warranties are basically a commitment to repair or replace defective parts within a specified time frame (usually 12 months), although beware of any small print requiring the consumer to bear the cost of any shipping, labour etc as this runs contrary to the Sale of Goods Act which states that it is the seller’s (retailer’s) responsibility to ensure the goods are repaired or replaced at no cost, minimum inconvenience and within reasonable time. Previously there was some doubt as to the legal status of such documents, but European regulations have now confirmed that warranties are legally binding contractual obligations between the manufacturer, or retailer and the consumer for the time frame indicated.
Read more: The Guarantee | Consumer Information

The Sale of Goods Act applies for 6 years (5 in Scotland) and the remedies are refund, replacement or money back. The remedies take into account the use you have had, so as Adam say a partial refund would be in order, Adam is correct about the specification but the replacement door does offered could be the same age as yours i.e. not new.

The Sale of Goods Act Explained | Consumer Information

xt500tom

Jun 28, 2013
Well you're fully entitled to a door of equal spec.
If the original door is no longer produced, or if parts of the door are no longer produced, the retailer must either: offer a lower grade part along with a minor refund (to account for the loss in value) or offer a higher grade part at their expense.

As far as colours go, I think this would be 'de minimis' in the eyes of a court, however it's always worth pursuing.

You can advise the retailer that you have taken legal advice and that you are entitled to the (same door) replacement, however of course if its not made anymore, you'll have to accept that fact.
But as Witch said, it's a warranty, you can go straight to the manufacturers.

If you decide to opt for a refund, you will only be entitled to a partial refund (to account for the time you've had use of the door).
So for example. Door cost £1000 . Warranty life 10 years. 6 years use = £600. You'd be entitled to ~£400 .

Adam
thanks (A.LEWIS) i tried to pm you but need 20 post

xt500tom

Jun 28, 2013
You will have a better chance with the manufacturer under the terms of the warranty, which are worth checking carefully.

Read more: The Guarantee | Consumer Information

The Sale of Goods Act applies for 6 years (5 in Scotland) and the remedies are refund, replacement or money back. The remedies take into account the use you have had, so as Adam say a partial refund would be in order, Adam is correct about the specification but the replacement door does offered could be the same age as yours i.e. not new.

The Sale of Goods Act Explained | Consumer Information
thank tony mate, two wheels :D

xt500tom

Jun 28, 2013
i just been looking at the paperwork and it's got a 10 year insurance certificate, from the plastics window federation ,i trying to make sence of the policy

xt500tom

Jun 28, 2013
spot on tony :cool:,how do you get on with all that paperwork it drives me nuts :eek:, i was never no good at school , this site :cool: nice people, keep up the good work mate

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You could ask them how much extra it would be for the door you want and see if you can do a deal.

xt500tom

Jun 28, 2013
You could ask them how much extra it would be for the door you want and see if you can do a deal.
going to be real nice to to lady on the phone monday morning and see what happens, it will be time to put on my cockney charm :D you never know it might work:D;) tony what do you work as are you in the law game

xt500tom

Jun 28, 2013
update on door , we decided to go for the red in the end , as A.LEWIS says like for like , and they have found another glass for me to look at, as close to the one i have already but i needed to have a look first , so that was it ,i jumped on the bike get over there and it looks perfect ,so i said i won,t be 10mins i go show the wife/boss , then he says, if she likes it we need the swatch back before we can order it, so off i go again back home about another 10 miles at least its over the downs and you can take in some nice views, then to the wife to show her , she said that's the same as we got already lol ,shows we know what we like , lets hope its ok when it gets here , i just like to thank everyone for the help cheers tom