Multicar Insurance

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
Can anyone tell me if they have tried Admiral Multicar Insurance and whether it is worth it? We have 2 cars but they are on separate policies and I am just wondering whether this would be a good option for when renewal time comes around. Does it actually work out cheaper or is it just the same as any other policies? Are there any extra perks that make it better?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Can't answer your question but I wonder how you would be affected if you made a claim, if you lost your no claims for both cars, it could work out a much more expensive alternative.

KimDo

Dec 15, 2008
I never heard of something similar, but a friend of mine has two cars but he changes always the license plates as he has a garage and can have one care with out license plate - so the insurance runs over the license plate!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I never heard of something similar, but a friend of mine has two cars but he changes always the license plates as he has a garage and can have one care with out license plate - so the insurance runs over the license plate!
And if a policeman is behind him and runs his numberplate through their ANPR it'll flag up as a bit odd when the car in front isn't what the computer says it is.

Try explaining that one in court.

Similarly, if he has an accident the insurance company/police/court may be slightly bemused to hear that his car wasn't the one he was driving/insured for.

In short, it's illegal.

Johnnyboy

Jan 18, 2009
Glasgow
I had an Admiral multicar policy until last week and switched to Direct Line. I had three cars on the multi-car policy 2 registered to me a 1 to my now ex girlfriend, it worked out for an Audi TT (roadster) Range Rover and a Fiesta about £930 a year the Audi and the Range Rover were fully comp.

I recently split with my girlfriend and made Admiral aware of the changes (Renewal time) and that I sold the Audi to my girlfriend so insurance only for the Range Rover and the Fiesta they quoted me just over £830 :eek: I said "so removing a group 19 car and a driver from the policy only saved £100" cs rep reply "oh but there was an accident last year with the Audi" my reply "yes my ex girlfriend was driving and the cost was less than £1200 and no damage to the Audi" they came back with "yes but you lose 3 years no claims bonus for that" even though I was not driving. I told them to shove it went to Direct Line got the Range Rover and Fiesta both insured fully comp with cover for travelling in connection with policy holders business and vandalism cover thrown in free, for less than Admiral.

Multi-car has it's good points and it's bad ones, you get two or three (depending on how many cars you have) sets of documents sent to you but it's also worth looking at other insures who will do a linked discount policy and can mirror ncd on both policies.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Admiral Group are shocking in my opinion - being insured by them (Elephant) was one of the worst decisions I ever made. I am lucky enough never to have claimed on any car insurance policy (touch wood) but every time they sent me a new cover note I would have to check it carefully as they would add things like "exhaust manifold - non standard" or get the car manufacturer and model wrong (this was at renewal time and I had the same car as before!)

Each error meant a 20 minute call to an 0870 number to talk to an Indian call centre and attempt t get it rectified.

Then the time that I actually did change my car the chap said that my premium wouldn't change, only for a week later a new policy schedule to be delivered with an increase in price of £200. I complained but supposedly they "reviewed the call recording and he never said that", which was a complete lie so I cut my losses and cancelled the policy.

And in a related note, they are supposedly awful if you do make a claim. I know a firefighter who was sat in a rush hour queue when his beloved VW Golf burst into flames. Elephant dragged their heels for over a year trying to claim that it could have been him just trying to get the insurance money.... despite it going up in flames with about 100 witnesses.... Not sure what your claim experience was like Johnnyboy.

Johnnyboy

Jan 18, 2009
Glasgow
Before I stuck the Fiesta on the multi car policy I had another car on that I used as a run about. It was struck by a car that was pulling out from a stationary position open and shout case as far as I was concerned. The only problem was my car was only third party fire and theft on the multi car policy which meant Admiral passed the claim over to thier legal recovery team Albany Assist.

Albany Assit are as much use as a chocolate fire guard and I ended up by-passing them and sorting out the claim myself. I complained on several occassions about Albany to Admiral and I was given the "That's unacceptable and we will look in to it" nonsense.

Thanks Chutzpah for bring that up. I completely forgot about that experience I had with them them, the more I think about it I'm glad I'm away from Admiral the only reason I went with them is they would accept my ex girlefriend on the insurance for my car at that time Direct Line wouldn't due to her being under 25 at the time. Anyway I'm back with Directline and happy with that.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
So splitting up with your girlfriend has been quite useful then? ;-)

Albany Assistance are part of HelpHire Group. I used to work at a management consultancy and we attempted to approach them to do some work - their board was extremely bullish and basically told us to f off as they were 'great at what they do'. Normally, in my experience any board that does that actually run a dismal operation. Most of the staff at the HQ in Bath are admin staff (five GCSEs minimum) with no legal knowledge whatsoever so often won't actually be able to help on the phone, just a case of 'computer says no'.