Dfs sofa

rossi43

Jul 1, 2013
HI, just purchased a sofa from DFS and it arrived last week. The stitching has started to come apart already on both items and has already started to show white on the brown fabric.
Promptly rang them and they sent someone out to look the next day, so far so good or so I thought. They took some pictures and admitted that the 2 sofas purchased needed replacing as "somehow "the stitching was substandard. They then rang me the next day to ask me if i could with 28days to see if the fabric would shrink back, therefore hiding all the stitching and this would rectify the problem.
Now I've had a look around the web and now seen that DFS have a very very bad rep in customer services, I should of checked DFS out beforehand.Heres the scenario, I've told them that i want the items removing as i`m well within the 28days,but they have told me i have to wait until the 28 days us up to see if the problem sorts itself out!!!total idiots.....
As i purchased the item on 0% finance, and paid no deposit am i within my rights to cancel the order?the store have told me that i cant and if i cancel the direct debit then it will severely effect my credit rating. Can anyone advice please before this goes any further?
Many Thanks
Craig

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If an item is faulty on receipt, which this obviously was, you can reject it and request a refund under the Sale of Goods Act. You dont have to wait to see if the fault rectifies itself! I've neverheard anything so ridiculous, nor do you have pay for faulty goods, who is the finance with as you should also notify them the agreement is cancelled as you are rejecting the suite.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The more time that goes on the more difficult it is to reject the sofa. You should stop using the sofas and ask them to collect it stating that you are rejecting it as they are in breach of contract as the sofa is not of satisfactory quality. As Witch says cancel the credit agreement rather than the Direct Debits, although you'd hope they'd do that for you.

rossi43

Jul 1, 2013
Many thanks for the response. The finance is with Barclays bank.I`ve contacted them this evening to explain the situation and they were more than helpful.Its basically going to have to be taken away and replaced,or they will deal with DFS for me and the contract terminated.
Thanks

rossi43

Jul 1, 2013
To be honest Tony I want to reject it now as I`ve lost faith in them already.I was very civil to them when they first came out,but made it perfectly clear that I wasn't going to be fobbed off.Then came the 2nd phone call with the offer of rectifying the problem in various ways.This item is less than 2 weeks old,shouldent have to waith 28 days to see if it "fixes"itselve,or for them to come out and repair.I`ve has someone look at it now and in there view in cannot be repaired in my home.I was expectin a phone call off them by 9.30 this morning,but it hasn't happened so I`ll wait a few more hours unitll I ring the store and cancel the order.The item was purchased from Bolton DFS by the way.Many thanks for all your help..

CustomerservicesDFS

Mar 12, 2013
We are sorry to learn you are unhappy with your furniture. We would love to see if we can help so please contact us on 01302 330365 and ask for the Customer Service Department.

Kind regards

Customer Service - DFS

rossi43

Jul 1, 2013
Who do I ask for please?i really don't want to be going over and over things so as you have just seen my post can you give me a contact?
Thanks

CustomerservicesDFS

Mar 12, 2013
Hi,

My name is Matthew Howarth, I will be happy to speak you.

Alternatively if I am not available please ask for my colleague Nicola Dawson.

Kind regards

Matthew Howarth
Customer Service - DFS

CustomerservicesDFS

Mar 12, 2013
Good afternoon

Unfortunately I have not heard from you regarding this matter and would like to discuss the concerns you have raised.

My direct telephone number is 01302 57 33 48, if you would like to call me I will be happy to speak to you.

Kind regards

Matthew Howarth
Customer Service - DFS

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
To be honest Tony I want to reject it now as I`ve lost faith in them already.I was very civil to them when they first came out,but made it perfectly clear that I wasn't going to be fobbed off.Then came the 2nd phone call with the offer of rectifying the problem in various ways.This item is less than 2 weeks old,shouldent have to waith 28 days to see if it "fixes"itselve,or for them to come out and repair.I`ve has someone look at it now and in there view in cannot be repaired in my home.I was expectin a phone call off them by 9.30 this morning,but it hasn't happened so I`ll wait a few more hours unitll I ring the store and cancel the order.The item was purchased from Bolton DFS by the way.Many thanks for all your help..
Is this resolved now? Did you manage to reject the sofa? For others reading this we have a useful guide here - Consumer rights when buying a sofa | Consumer Information

Rad86-2009

Feb 19, 2014
Hi Has anyone had any problems with the Oskar sofa as we would like to buy but scared to as we have heard bad things about DFS.

Thanks

benbenjamin

Feb 20, 2014
Hi,

No I found dfs useful when i bought my leather sofa from them last year. The staff was very helpful and also we got vouchers to use for our sofas from friends.. If there's a store I'll recommend you to go to the store and check it out..

:)

Kazzie67

Aug 5, 2014
I bought a sofa and chair from DFS just over a year ago, so far it had a new frame, new bolts, and still it cannot recline, still finding bolts that end up in my baby;s mouth, they have been out to it four times, had a service manager out in may, again, it broke again after 2 days, when, phoned up on the 6th May promised someone would call me which was still waiting 05/08/2014, i phoned head office again today, and basically told it not there problem i having problems and cannot get a service manager out till 28th Aug, i would never buy another sofa from DFS, i had one from Land of Leather that lasted me 15 years and not one problem with in, I feel that DFS should look into there people that make their sofas because in my case they are crap, i am going to seek some legal advice to see if they now have to give me a complete new sofa, rather than them coming to repair it which is not being done properly :mad::mad::mad:

Nov 20, 2014
Hi folks

I'm had a simlair suitation from these total cowboys sorry but that's me being nice
I just cannot beleive in this day and age such a company can still be in business. The way they treat customers is shocking.

I had a sofa delivered with several faults told the removal guy who wasn't even dfs he said oh they are all like that I stated take it back his reply sorry I can't just sign for it as faulty and ring dfs they will arrange pick up
Originally I'd have been happy with a replacement however now i never want to deal with this these people. I rang them straight away to be told their repair guy needs to come out when I had told them not a chance I paid for a brand new sofa not a faulty one if I wanted ex showroom or used I'd have went to a charity shop!!!

They insisted he had to come out basically made me waste 2 weeks by the time I managed to get a manager on the phone who never returned my calls for weeks. Only to be told no its a repair and I had no other option! !

I hung up on the guy who I will name and shame Brian and Tony Kerr from West of Scotland Tollcross store. Left several messages with Claire and Emma also

So far only the finance company seem to be the professional ones who are dealing with my compaint now. However they tell me the 14 day cooling off period has ended and onky dfs can cancel however I stand by my claim item arrived faulty not as described and I want it uplifted and agreement cancelled. Originally I'd have asked for a replacement however their so called repair guy Martin told my wife your better getting a repair as a replacement sofa could be worse !!!!
I will chase these cow boys for my wasted time and the inconvenience through the small claims court

Word of warning people stay away from dfs

I also wanted to ask the more knowledgeable folk on here am I within my rights to ask for the sofa to be returned and credit cancelled?

Apologies for posting on someone's else's thread I can create a new one if need be

Edit mods this can be removed I've posted a new thread

Cereal Complainant!

Jan 12, 2015
We are sorry to learn you are unhappy with your furniture. We would love to see if we can help so please contact us on 01302 330365 and ask for the Customer Service Department.

Kind regards

Customer Service - DFS
DFS are shockingly bad. I bought 2 sofas from them a few years back and have been trying to claim back the PPI I was forced to buy when purchasing the sofas.

Despite going through the Financial Ombudsman becasue they rejected the claim, I am yet to receive a cheque from them- let alone the 2 that I am waiting for. Matthew Howarth seems to be the first one to respond to you - but that is about all he does. Other names to watch for Gemma and the Queen Bee of Courtesy Hannah Houghton who claims to be the Customer Service Manager but has the manners, kindness and courtesy of a sewer rat whose been evicted from his tin can whilst suffering from a severe illness and a limp.
Hannah, with her helpful mannerisms (talking over you and repeatedly shouting, 'Errm if you could let me finish') almost drove me to tears of frustration in that she refused to apologise for the cock up that DFS continue to make and spoke to me as if we'd got out of the same bed - or should I say Sofa!

In the latest furore, DFS have decided to send random cheques to the address that I lived at more than 5 years ago; and I was asked whether I still had access to the property to collect the cheque. This is despite my current address being present on all of the information that I have sent them and the information sent to them by the Ombudsman - I was told that this is a simple mistake to make - errm yes it probably is when you dont bother to read the important stuff in front of you!

Finally, after being asked to send the necesarry information for the thrid time, I sent all the contact emails, the read receipts confirming who had opened and read my correspondence and the actual information - just for good measure. From the 12 read receipts that I have received, I assume that my email is now the equivalent of viral in the DFS crapstomer service dept.

i wont even bother to go into how poor the sofas were that i bought from them - the colour variation from cushions that were side by side - apparently to do with the 'variations in natural materials' but light brown to washed out brown is a strong variation, or the underneath that was just gone - not missing just gone as in never been there, the missing connectors for the corner sofa meaning a trip to Homebase - although the risers for my desk tray worked a bit better!

Anyhoo - to finish - steer clear of DFS - you'd be better trying to nail together a few dining chairs and chucking a tablecloth over the lot!

Excuse the rant people, but this situation winds me up in 0.001 secs to the extent that this post is actually quite therapeutic - thanks for your eyes readers!