No Picture but has sound

DanStevens

Jul 7, 2013
Hi
Just thought I would sign up for a bit of advice.
I have a 42'' technika 3D TV I purchased from Tesco 14 months ago.
Tonight the picture just faded to black from top of the screen to the bottom and now I can't get any picture at all.
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on where I would stand with warranty and what to say when I phone and complain tomorrow.
Thanks.
Dan

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Dan,

Unless you have an extended warranty the warranty is likely to have expired. The good news is that you are covered by the sale of goods act. It's reasonable to expect a TC to last longer than that even a budget one.

This is a link that will help you - The Sale of Goods Act Explained | Consumer Information

Just shout if you have any questions..

Tony

DanStevens

Jul 7, 2013
Thanks for the advice.
When contacting the store. What would I say?
Would I have to go to a small claims court?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
You just let them know that the tv has broken, and you'd like: a partial refund (to account for time in use) / a repair / a replacement
As per you're rights under Secrion 14 of the Sale of Goods Act, as the TV has not lasted a reasonable length of time.

^ or atleast that's the formal way.

The only reason youd need to go to SCC is if they ignore youre requests and fail to rectify the situation. But it won't get to that.

Adam

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Let us know how you get on. If they are being difficult, which is unlikely as it is a Tesco brand if I remember rightly they might ask for an engineers report to demonstrate that the fault was not caused by misuse.

DanStevens

Jul 7, 2013
Hi thanks for advice.
I phoned them and they said they will give a partial refund as its out of warranty.
So had half the money back.
They didnt bother sending someone out to check the tv.
They just took my word for it. So I'm guessing. They have had a few problems with them.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Great to hear that Dan and thanks for getting back to us... it's always great to hear consumer success stories. Many people would have just put it in the bin and bought a new one

DanStevens

Jul 7, 2013
Haha I can't afford a new one.
I'm hoping it can be fixed for less that what they offered me so ill have I little left over

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Dan,

That's correct hopefully you'll be able to get it fixed, or you might find one on ebay second hand. Good luck