Other driver lieing about car accident

Baanjo

Jul 13, 2013
I was hit from the rear at c. 15mph when stationary causing 2.5k worth of damage to my car, and some discomfort in my shoulders for a few days but nothing major.

Anyway it has been 2mths since the accident and the other party has only now reported it but is claiming i rolled back into her.

My insurer has said based on the damage to my car (which shows the impact was on my car) and the fact that its an auto and can therefore not roll back, that they are confident i will be found not at fault.

However there were no witnesses for either party as we exchanges details and drove off, but im v worried she will fabricate a witness, thereby having evidence to support her version of events.

What could i do in this case? Any help would be much appreciated. I hit a bentley few years ago having just passed my test. Its increased mu premium massively and i wont get insured with another fault claim!

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
There really is no argument here is there? If your car could not have possibly have rolled back into hers then she can produce as many witnesses as she wants and she and her witnesses will be breaking the laww by giving false statements to an insurance company. Check whether you have legal cover on your car insurance or go to a firm of solicitors who cover accident management and provide no win no fee services. You need to make sure she knows how much trouble she will be in if she lies and that you are prepared to take the matter to court.

T.C

Jan 5, 2011
In a case where there is rear end damage, it is what is called strict liability.

What that means is that in cases where someone has been hit in the rear, it is not for the person to prove that they did not roll back, but for the rearmost driver to prove that, otherwise it will be assumed that the vehicle at the back drove into the rear of the vehicle in front.

So in short, if the other side pursues this, they have to prove that you rolled back into them. Nigh on impossible to prove unless they have something like on board video.

You have the advantage of being in an automatic which unless is in neutral is unlikely to roll back anyway, and it certainly sounds like that the third party are making a false claim.

If your insurers are on the ball they should investigate properly, as unless there was injury the only way you will be able to get legal representation is if you have legal expenses insurance as law firms cannot recover their costs in the majority of damage only cases and therefore have to be funded by the insurers.