Hairdryer - out of gurantee - what can I do

Rasharoon

Jul 16, 2013
I purchased a Mark Hill Hairdryer from Boots on 16th June 2012 and have the receipt. My hairdryer has now started to cut out and on examining the lead, can see that I have some exposed wires from where the lead goes into the hairdryers.
I have emailed my query to Boots and they replied with the following:

"As we only offer a warrantee of 12 months on third party products i'm afraid we are unable to refund or exchange this for you. I understand that this is disappointing and have therefore included Mark Hill's contact link to enable you to contact them directly."

The Hairdryer in question is still an item that can be purchased and I was hoping to do a straight exchange. I'm not happy about this and this was an expensive Hairdryer.

What can I do?

Thank you.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
The Sale of Goods Act states that goods must be of satisfactory quality and durable, exposed wires pose a significant risk, how much is expensive and how long would you expect this hairdryer to last? Your contract is with Boots, not the manufacturer and Boots will be aware of this. Having said all that, you wouldn't be entitled to a straight exchange as you have had 12 months use of the dryer.

Rasharoon

Jul 16, 2013
Thank you for your reply. The hairdryer cost £59.99. My hairdryer before that last 7 years so I was expecting a lot longer. It's the wire that is the potential risk as you so rightly say.
I take it I don't have a leg to stand on so will have to purchase a new one if Boots are not willing to help. Is that right?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Under S.14, another key criteria is 'Safety'. However if the wires weren't exposed at purchase, this would fall under 'Durability'
You can claim either: a repair or a partial refund (accounting for the use youve had).
You are not claiming under the warranty , you will be claiming under your statutory rights.

If boots shrug their shoulders, and you can be bothered to pursue this for the sake of £20-30? You can take them to the small claims court (at a cost of roughly £20) however if you win, you can claim costs from the other party too.

That's about it really.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I would just add that as you have already been in touch with them, your next step would be a letter or email to their complaints department quoting s.14 as Adam says below.

sian123

Sep 17, 2013
Maybe get a new one?! Sorry couldn't help myself. But yes i do agree that it should be under a warranty if it is from a reliable merchant.

GaryCSmith

Jul 13, 2016
I'd suggest you get a new one. Although, I also agree that the item should be under warranty based on the S. 14 mentioned below

bonniesbrn

Oct 12, 2016
London
If the claim for a repair or a partial refund doesn't work out, try looking for a reliable electrician before buying a new one. It will cost you less.

Bruno27

Mar 16, 2017
Sorry old post and did not realise. Deleted my answer and won't let me completely delete my post. If mods can delete I would be grateful.

Last edited:

MaryWard

May 2, 2017
London, UK
www.trustmeter.co
You could just give it away to some recycling center. It is going to spare some time and money. I almost killed myself with a hair-drier that is out of order. It was such a great mistake keep using it when it is totally out of order.

Aiden Ford

Nov 2, 2021
I do not really welcome the use of hairdryers, since they still dry their hair. This in turn leads to a deterioration of their condition. It is better to use a conventional towel that absorbs moisture well. If the hair is healthy, you can make a good haircut or paint in a different color.

Simmons

Nov 2, 2021
I agree that the use of a hairdryer dries and spoils hair over time. Every girl is always looking for something new in fashion. My wife recently read about strawberry blonde hair. Here she found 61 cheerful and coy shades of strawberry blonde hair for a stunning autumn image. Such a joyful and beautiful hair color.