Rock Solid Kitchens

angevin-1

Jan 2, 2009
I agreed to a rep calling at my home regarding sale of kitchen units (delivery only). After he left, I made enquiries about the company and decided to cancel within 3 hours. I went immediately to the bank and stopped the cheque, dated same day, and wrote to the company, same day also. This company is in England and I live in Scotland. Am I covered by the '7-day' cooling-off rule? I have received a Small Claims Order by an English Court dated 30/12/08 for 30% of the initial price which is the full deposit which I cancelled and would like to know what you can advise. I know I have 3 choices: Pay up and and admit breach of contract; contest and be summoned or see a lawyer. Thanks for any advice.

angevin-1

Jan 2, 2009
Deadline covered

Transaction took place 31/10/2008 I thought I was safe but need re-assurance. What's my best options now please?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

You are covered by the new Doorstep Selling legislation that came into force on 1/10/2008. Did they give you notice of your right to cancel?

The Seller’s Obligations

With any contract or sale made in this way, you must be sure you have been presented with clear written notice of your 7 day right to cancel, at or before the time the contract is made. If you have not, the contract is legally unenforceable, even if a deposit has been paid. This notice, which cannot be in the form of small print, or otherwise disguised, must also provide a cancellation form and advise you on how and to whom a notice of cancellation is to be made. Any related credit agreements will also be cancelled.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I've never heard of this company so I checked out their website and I have to be a little suspicious of a company who sells £5k kitchens for £300!!

I suspect one of two things here:

i) they're trying to frighten you into paying, don't know how much money is involved but it's pretty cheap to issue a claim in the small claims court and often receipt of a summons is enough to frighten anyone into paying, especially with the risk of a CCJ - you are in the right here, they have no case, do not be bullied by this situation!!!

ii) They don't have a clue about the law and think they have case - they don't.

with the court forms there should be a form for you to submit your intention to defend the claim, you need to complete this, you then have 28 days to submit your defence, this gives you time to get your defence together at which point they will probably withdraw their claim.

angevin-1

Jan 2, 2009
Scots Law vs English Law

Thanks for confirmation. Just as I thought. However, can anyone confirm that Money Claim Online is restricted to England and Wales only. As I live in Scotland, is this an invalid citation? My town and postcode is given but not the county nor country.

This sale was deposit and balance to be paid on delivery. No credit available, terms and conditions were not read at point of sale which read as full deposit retainable on cancellation. No purchase contract received, I have only the rep's survey/order form which they conclude as binding.

My other reasons for invalidating this contract involve harrassment to conclude the sale as I am a single female.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
From what you have already said, you need only one defence or reason for cancelling, the doorstep selling legislation, in this respect it is your right to cancel, regardless of your reasons.

There is no MCOL in Scotland but this claim will have been issued in England, MCOL cases go through Northampton County Court, tbh I'm not sure of the procedure when the defendant is in Scotland but if no-one else on here knows, I'll find out for you.

If I remember correctly, you can notify of your intention to defend online, which I would advise you do while we sort out other queries, purely because if you do not defend, the case will be automatically awarded to the claimant.

I know the Scottish small claims is quite different from engish so that may throw another spanner in the works for them but that will have to be clarified first.

I assume the bank will give you confirmation of the date you cancelled the cheque, do you have a copy of the cancellation letter you wrote to the company and/or proof of postage?

angevin-1

Jan 2, 2009
Cancellation

I have a bank statement with the cancellation charge regarding the cheque issued to RSK dated 30/10/08 and a copy of the letter I sent to the company dated 30/10/08 cancelling the agreement signed 29/10/08 Hope that clarifies. Thanks 4 ur help

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I too am not sure about the procedure when the claimant is in England and the defendant in Scotland, or whether it is the correct mechanism to use to make a claim. Go through the process they have no case and it sounds like they didn't properly inform you of you cancellation rights.

Tony

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
This quote and link to the MCOL website clears the first point up;

Other Conditions:

• your claim must be for a fixed amount of money which is less than £100,000 including court fees and any solicitors' costs';
  • our claim is against no more than two people;
  • your address for service must be within England and Wales
  • the address of the person(s) you are suing is within England and Wales; and
  • you have a valid credit or debit card.

If you think you qualify for a fee remission or exemption you cannot use MCOL.
It appears they really don't know what they are doing so you just need to go ahead, we can work on the actual details of the defence but in the mean time you need to get some local advice (perhaps from your sherrifs court or local citizens advice) but as i said before, don't ignore the MCOL just incase, it can't do any harm to respond and at least this gives you a bit of extra time to make your enquiries.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I think this guy is quite a TV star, haven't I seen him on Watchdog numerous times?

Looks like you've had a lucky escape with this one but I'm very surprised a bloke who has spent so much time in English courts doesn't know the legal system :D

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Interesting - so their claim appears to be completely invalid. I have checked the Scottish Sheriff Court site and it states,

"In most cases, the court which will hear the claim will be the one within whose area the person the claim is to be made against (the defender) lives or has a place of business."

So it looks as if not only do they not have a case, but they have raised the action in the wrong country. Presumably when the completed documentation is read by someone at Money Claim Online, the company will be told the claim is invalid?

I agree that it's still worth your while responding though, both pointing out that their claim is invalid and that you are covered by the relevant consumer law.

Good luck.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Just after a progress check on this one.

From what I remember about MCOL you have 2 choices for submitting defence, one is a button to say you will defend but will submit your defence later and another text box to submit your defence at the time. Once you have completed this text box, you have no option to add or amend your submission and obviously this needs some thought to ensure all the legallities and arguments are covered.

If you need any help - give us a shout although I think you're pretty safe with the 2 arguments we have already figured, i.e. the case isn't valid in Scotland and your cooling off period.

angevin-1

Jan 2, 2009
Anyone online?

Hi - I've draughted a defence for MCOL but wondered if anyone who's already helped is available online to take a private msg. and proof-read what I've stated. I think maybe I've said too much. Can't risk RSK reading this on the open website, not yet anyway. If so, let me know please. Thanks.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I am on the way out, but can look later. To be honest though I don't think you have much to worry about due to the issue with jurisdiction.

Tony

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Just saw this, might be worth giving them a ring tomorrow. Got PM will look later.

Warrington Trading Standards - Consumer Alert Network
Promoting fair & safe trading,protecting you
24 September 2008

Warning about: Rock Solid Kitchens

Background

It has been brought to the attention of Trading Standards that a company named
Rock Solid Kitchens has emerged as a firm operated by Alan George Ford of
Rochdale Road, Shaw.

Mr Ford is currently on conditional bail awaiting trial for conspiracy to defraud,
conspiracy to apply false descriptions to goods and supplying goods to which
false trade descriptions has been applied.

Since those charges, which relate to activities under other trading names, the
Trading Standards Service has started to receive complaints about a firm called
Rock Solid Kitchens operating from various addresses in the Oldham area.

Anyone with any enquiries or complaints about this firm is urged to contact us on: 08454 04 05 06

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 6, 2008
Hi Angevin,

Did the letter do the trick? How did you get on with this?

Tony

dja2009

Jan 23, 2009
Another Mug

Hi - I had a visit from Rock Solid Kitchens who seemed very good and I placed my order and payed the 100.00 deposit. However, will watching tv later in the evening doubts started to cross my mind so the next day I googled them and was horrified to see the amount of storys posted on the web. Well I felt sick and immediately phoned them to cancel my order, I also called Trading Standards who said not to cancel my cheque as this would be breach of contract. Rock Solid told me that I had to cancel by written letter which I have done sending by recorded post stating that I wish to use my '7 day cooling off period.

So now have to wait and see what happens next - I dont expect to see my deposit returned that would be a miracle - need to chalk up to experience and move on I guess - will keep ya posted