Site posing as the DVLA

Fairplay

Aug 20, 2013
I logged on to what I thought was the dvla site on line, to purchase a provisional licence for my son. It said on it about paying the fee of £50, I thought it meant for the licence so I clicked on it to pay it. When I had completed the form I thought they may want identification so wondered about that and thought they would send for it. I received a letter from the dvla about a week later with the partly filled in form I had filled in on line and they asked for some identification also the fee of £50. I thought that it must be an error on their part and sent of the identification with a letter saying that I had paid the £50 licence fee on line. I received a call from the dvla saying they had not received the fee. I told them about filling in the form and them asking for the fee and taking it from my account. They said there is no indication that you paid anything, you may have been on one of the scam sites. I could not believe it. I looked again on line at the site and I emailed them to ask about the fee. I had to email 3 times before they emailed back. I did not ring them because they were charging £1.53 a minute. They said in their email that the fee was for their help in getting the form checked for mistakes. I could not believe it, what a sham. The way it was worded was like you were paying £50 for the licence fee. Who would pay £50 for someone to check a simple form. Oh yes ME! I cannot understand how I was scammed like that and unknowingly. I didn't think I could be so stupid. I wonder if anyone else has been victim of this. I really don't know how they can get away with it!

stevenwiki

Aug 12, 2013
United Kingdom
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) needs information to help fight customs and excise fraud and tax evasion.

This guide explains how you can help HMRC by either telling them about your suspicions, or give information that will help stop people committing fraud, bringing goods into the UK that they shouldn't or deliberately not paying tax.