help with Tesco mobile phone please

Saffy

Aug 22, 2013
I am a 60 yrs old lady who bought a contract HRC mobile phone from Tesco. I only use it very occasionally but one morning it just would not turn on and was dead as a Dodo. I took it back to Tesco who checked it out and confirmed it was dead. I was advised to phone a number for a free postage packet to send it off for repairs. This I did. I bought the phone on 27th April and it stopped working on the 12th August. less than 4 months with little use and I did not do anything to break it. I have just had a letter back from the Tesco mobile repair who have said that my phone has been examined and is not covered by the manufacturers warranty and they want me to pay £84.95 for a new one. I am also tied into a 2 year warranty. they do not even say what is wrong with the phone but say if i do not contact them within 14 days they will assume I do not want them to repair it. Can you help me please.

Just to add to my post I have just spoken to someone on Tesco mobile repairs number and they said the phone has signs of being tampered with inside and that soldering has been broken on the main board!! ! I don't even know what a main board is never mind tampering with it. i told them the only person whowith it was the boy in Tesco's when he was trying to find out what was wrong with it. i have been told that a note will go their engineers to take another look at it and then someone will be in touch with me.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hello,
I think Tesco could do with a nice dose of common sense some times, and you should tell them this.
Anyway, (of course being the middle man and independent), if you have not tampered with the insides and what not, you can request a brand new replacement phone under Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act, as the phone fails the 'Durability' requirements.
(I'm not even going to bother with the flip side).

Leave them to re-inspect, and if they come back with the same story, tell them to grow up and use their heads.

Adam

stevenwiki

Aug 12, 2013
United Kingdom
When you use your Tesco Mobile for the first time, you will need to activate it to receive calls. It's easy to do, just follow these simple steps:
Switch on your phone and it will connect automatically to the Tesco Mobile network.
Set a PIN code for your phone that you can remember easily.
Once connected, your phone's in standby mode and you're ready to start talking.
Make a chargeable call to activate your phone, otherwise you won't be able to receive calls.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
When you use your Tesco Mobile for the first time, you will need to activate it to receive calls. It's easy to do, just follow these simple steps:
Switch on your phone and it will connect automatically to the Tesco Mobile network.
Set a PIN code for your phone that you can remember easily.
Once connected, your phone's in standby mode and you're ready to start talking.
Make a chargeable call to activate your phone, otherwise you won't be able to receive calls.
StevenWiki, your post really did not help nor add any value to this post.
Please refrain from posting a response if you cannot answer it.
Thank you

Saffy

Aug 22, 2013
Hello,
I think Tesco could do with a nice dose of common sense some times, and you should tell them this.
Anyway, (of course being the middle man and independent), if you have not tampered with the insides and what not, you can request a brand new replacement phone under Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act, as the phone fails the 'Durability' requirements.
(I'm not even going to bother with the flip side).

Leave them to re-inspect, and if they come back with the same story, tell them to grow up and use their heads.

Adam
Not sure if this reply is in the right place but thank you Adam for your help. I am still waiting for the engineer to do a second check on the phone and will let you know how I get on. He will have to eat his words and I am determined to take this as far as necessary. I will keep you informed.

kathrynklloyd

Sep 6, 2013
I am a 60 yrs old lady who bought a contract HRC mobile phone from Tesco. I only use it very occasionally but one morning it just would not turn on and was dead as a Dodo. I took it back to Tesco who checked it out and confirmed it was dead. I was advised to phone a number for a free postage packet to send it off for repairs. This I did. I bought the phone on 27th April and it stopped working on the 12th August. less than 4 months with little use and I did not do anything to break it. I have just had a letter back from the Tesco mobile repair who have said that my phone has been examined and is not covered by the manufacturers warranty and they want me to pay £84.95 for a new one. I am also tied into a 2 year warranty. they do not even say what is wrong with the phone but say if i do not contact them within 14 days they will assume I do not want them to repair it. Can you help me please.

Just to add to my post I have just spoken to someone on Tesco mobile repairs number and they said the phone has signs of being tampered with inside and that soldering has been broken on the main board!! ! I don't even know what a main board is never mind tampering with it. i told them the only person whowith it was the boy in Tesco's when he was trying to find out what was wrong with it. i have been told that a note will go their engineers to take another look at it and then someone will be in touch with me.
How strange that the repair they say is on my phone is £84.95 same quote as yours.Is this a standard charge regardless of whats wrong with it :(

Saffy

Aug 22, 2013
This is an update on my mobile phone from Tesco.
I was informed that the engineer who said my phone was tampered with looked at it again and stuck by his story that someone had soldered the inside with a view to repair it. At this point my husband took over the call on my behalf as it was very upsetting to be called a liar. My husband said if there was evidence of soldering then it must have been done by them and we had received a reconditioned phone. Getting nowhere, my husband then asked to speak to a supervisor and was told he could not speak to one but one would call him back within 48 hours. The next day a female supervisor called and after a lengthy conversation and using very carefully chosen words, she said she had looked at the phone herself and thought it unlikely that we had done the soldering and under the circumstances she would contact Tesco and explain the circumstances and see if they would agree to a repair.

It leaves the question of who they do think tried to do this mystery soldering? Maybe there are fairies that can creep inside phones overnight and practise soldering without our knowledge.

We are waiting for the outcome.