Mobile phone and Paypal Dispute

Tankie1rtr

Aug 27, 2013
York. North Yorkshire
Hello All.
I am a newbie so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong site. I purchased a mobile phone HTC One s from ebay, it was described as very good condition as new. when I got it I had a bit of trouble firing it up but after a long charge it worked ok, I had the phone 4 weeks then it stopped working, I asked for a refund and the seller refused, I opened a dispute with paypal, in the meantime, I got in touch with HTC Support and spoke to an engineer, he asked me for the IMEI number, when I gave it to him he told me the phone was made for the Czech Republic and it had a warranty until 2015 BUT that warranty was void because someone had. "Quote" Mobile phone was potentially rooted or had a software change to debrand the device from the Czech Network, "Unquote" he also said that this may or may not be the cause of the problem.... I telephoned Paypal to tell them I had this document from HTC and what it said, and that the phone had been rooted 3 week prior to me buying it. I received an email from Paypal saying that they had found in the sellers favour, I appealed my case, and told them again about the letter from HTC Engineer, (This time I phoned Paypal and told them, on two separate phone calls) I received an email yesterday saying that they had again found in the sellers favour, I asked them by email how could they do this when they hadn't even had a copy of the letter from HTC, as I had not managed to find a way to send it to them, right up to yesterday 26/08/2013. on this date I managed to attach it to an email, they just told me 'Case Closed' and I cannot appeal again. on part of an email I received about the appeal it said "Quote" Paypal will evaluate ALL information including original listing and both sellers and buyers statements. "Unquote"... So how can have done this, they knew I had the letter from HTC but hadnt seen it ???
I am now £170 light with a phone I have had for 4 weeks that doesn't work, all paypal will say is 'Case Closed' the person who I bought the phone from lives in Southern Ireland.
Cheers to All
Tankie

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Realistically your only method of redress is the Small Claims Court and for £25 I'd certainly do it. Paypal think they are above and beyond British law but intact they aren't. Your case would have to be against PayPal and the seller. I'll explain why the other options aren't open to you.

1. you can't ask your bank or credit card company to complete a charge back if you paid by card.
    You can't go to the Financial Ombudsman because Paypal do not come under their jurisdiction.

I hate PayPal with a vengeance and never use them unless I absolutely have no other choice.

If you want help with the SCC please give us a shout

Tankie1rtr

Aug 27, 2013
York. North Yorkshire
Hi Witch Consumer.
Thank you for your reply to my message, I think I will have to go to SCC because Paypal are just giving me the run around, they have already told me that the case is closed, I emailed them yesterday to ask why they haven't answered any of my questions about not looking at the letter from HTC, and how could they make an appeal judgement when they had not seen evidence from the HTC Engineers, I received an email from Paypal support today that said, Thank you for contacting Paypal, you can appeal your dispute after 10 days. If you would like to appeal go to the following. and gave me the dispute procedures from the original dispute, this is the second email that I have sent requesting answers, but I just keep getting ignored and they send silly emails in return, I think I am being ignored on purpose and I think its because they have ruled in the sellers favour and do not want to take the HTC Engineers letter into consideration, because what Paypal have said is final. I tried to insert a copy of the Engineers letter but it wont let me do it for some reason.
Regards
Tankie

Tankie1rtr

Aug 27, 2013
York. North Yorkshire
Well, Result.......I use to have my own small company years ago called "Media Investigations" and I had a thought and used one of my headed letters and wrote to paypal. I told them that if they had not replied by the next morning I would start Negative Airtime on TV, I had a reply the same evening at 22.00, they had reviewed my case and decided they I an due a full refund, it was in my account within the hour.... AND I got to keep the phone... but we shouldn't have to use these threats to get fair play.... I do not think I will be using them from now on, I have been with them for 10yrs you would think that you get looked at fairly after so long loyal service...
Thank you to everybody who replied to my question.
Regards
Tankie1rtr