Disputed liability in car accident..advice please

effie1234

Aug 30, 2013
I was involved in a car accident where the car in front indicated left and slowed as if to turn into a lay-by. I indicated right and began to overtake him (long straight road, broken white line in centre of road). At the last second, he turned right instead, and collided with the passenger side of my car. He acknowledged he was indicating left.
Direct Line are saying it's 50/50 liability, as I could have chosen to remain behind him until he was off the road, rather than overtaking.
I am wondering whether it's worth my while arguing this, in court..in terms of loss of no claims bonus. Repairs cost 2000, with the excess being £350.
Many thanks for advice.

T.C

Jan 5, 2011
For what it is worth, I am a crash investigator and I advise solicitors on liability issues.

In your case, and for once the insurers are actually correct with split liability.

The driver in front had a duty of care to ensure it was safe to continue before pulling back into the carriageway, and you should have waited a few seconds rather than overtaking.

Sorry to be so negative, but the assessment by your insurers is correct in going down the route of split liability of 50/50